Straitsmouth Island Light
|Coordinates||42°39′44.14″N 70°35′17.05″W / 42.6622611°N 70.5880694°W|
|Construction||Brick / Asphalt|
|Height||37 feet (11 m)|
|Markings||White with black lantern|
|Heritage||National Register of Historic Places listed place|
|Focal height||14 m (46 ft)|
|Lens||250 millimetres (9.8 in), solar powered|
|Range||6 nautical miles (11 km; 6.9 mi)|
|Characteristic||Green, flashing every 6 sec|
Straightsmouth Island Light
|Area||1.8 acres (0.73 ha)|
|MPS||Lighthouses of Massachusetts TR|
|NRHP reference No.||87001487|
|Added to NRHP||June 15, 1987|
The Straitsmouth Island Light is a lighthouse located on Straitsmouth Island, in Rockport, Massachusetts. The original tower was built in 1835, and replaced by a second tower in 1896. It was automated in 1967, and is still in operation. The United States Coast Guard Light List description is "White cylindrical tower". The actual light is 46 feet (14 meters) above Mean High Water. The Light List name is "Straightsmouth Light", but the island is "Straitsmouth Island" on NOAA charts.
It was added to the National Register of Historic Places as the Straitsmouth Island Light in 1987.
Straitsmouth Island was owned for many years by the naval architect William Francis Gibbs and his wife, New York socialite and opera supporter, Vera Cravath Gibbs.
The island was left to the Massachusetts Audubon Society following the Gibbses' deaths in the 1960s.
- ^ a b "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service. November 2, 2013.
- ^ "Historic Light Station Information and Photography: Massachusetts". United States Coast Guard Historian's Office. 2009-08-08. Archived from the original on 2017-05-01.
- ^ United States Coast Guard (2009). Light List, Volume I, Atlantic Coast, St. Croix River, Maine to Shrewsbury River, New Jersey. p. 4.
- Lighthouses completed in 1835
- Lighthouses completed in 1896
- Lighthouses on the National Register of Historic Places in Massachusetts
- Rockport, Massachusetts
- Lighthouses in Essex County, Massachusetts
- National Register of Historic Places in Essex County, Massachusetts
- Essex County, Massachusetts Registered Historic Place stubs
- United States lighthouse stubs