Strange Adventures in Infinite Space
This article needs additional citations for verification. (March 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Strange Adventures in Infinite Space|
|Publisher(s)||Cheapass Games |
|Platform(s)||Microsoft Windows, Classic Mac OS, Palm Pilot, Linux|
Strange Adventures In Infinite Space is a roguelike-like computer game set in fictional space. Strange Adventures In Infinite Space was created by the independent game development group Digital Eel and released for Windows and Mac on March 15, 2002 by boardgame developer-publisher, Cheapass Games. It was later released for Pocket PC and Palm by British developer-publisher Astraware.
Strange Adventures In Infinite Space sets itself up differently each time it is played. Stars, black holes, planets, nebulae, artifacts, alien patrols, gadgets, lifeforms and dozens of events and encounters are randomized for each game session. Unlike conventional roguelikes, Strange Adventures In Infinite Space features graphics, music and sound, and game sessions typically last from 3 to 20 minutes, hence the game's tagline "Explore the galaxy in 20 minutes or less!"
Open sourcing and freeware release
As of November 11, 2005, the source code is freely available under the GNU GPL, though without the other game content. Since September 28, 2009, Strange Adventures In Infinite Space was made available as freeware, including the game content. Due to the source code availability ports to alternative platforms emerged, for instance for the ARM and Linux based OpenPandora.
Its sequels, the IGF award-winning Weird Worlds: Return to Infinite Space (2005, Windows, Mac, iPad) and the crowd-funded Infinite Space III: Sea of Stars (2015, Windows, Mac), each feature more content and options.
- source on digital-eel.com
- sais on infinitespacegames.com "After being sold for several years by Cheapass Games, Strange Adventures in Infinite Space was released as free software and its source code was made available under the GNU General Public License. Go to the Strange Adventures in Infinite Space website to download the game, source code and various other goodies"
- strange-adventures-in-infinite-space-free on Rock, Paper, Shotgun (2009-10-07)
- strange-adventure-in-infinite-space-v1-5-0-01-pandora-game-port on pdroms.de
- sais on github.com
- "A Perfect Short Game" in Gamasutra (September 15, 2004)
- "IGF Competition Finalists" Archived 2015-06-11 at the Wayback Machine on igf.com in 2003
- Official website
- Infinite Space Games: Official umbrella site for all Digital Eel "Infinite Space" electronic and table games
- Strange Adventures in Infinite Space at MobyGames
- Strange Adventures in Infinite Space page at Paizo Publishing (CD version)
- Astraware (publisher of Pocket PC and Palm OS ports)