Strange Adventures in Infinite Space
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (March 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Strange Adventures In Infinite Space (SAIS) is a roguelike computer game set in space. SAIS was created by the independent game development group Digital Eel and released for Windows and Mac on March 15, 2002 by boardgame developer/publisher, Cheapass Games. It was later released for Pocket PC and Palm by British developer/publisher, Astraware.
SAIS sets itself up differently each time it is played. Stars, black holes, planets, nebulae, artifacts, alien patrols, gadgets, lifeforms and dozens of events and encounters are randomized for each game session. Unlike conventional roguelikes, SAIS features graphics, music and sound, and game sessions typically last from 3 to 20 minutes, hence the game's tagline "Explore the galaxy in 20 minutes or less!"
SAIS was created by the independent game development group Digital Eel and released on March 15, 2002 by boardgame developer/publisher Cheapass Games. Years later it was later released for Pocket PC and Palm by British developer/publisher, Astraware.
Open sourcing and freeware release
As of November 11, 2005, the source code is freely available under the GNU GPL, though without the other game content. Since September 28, 2009, SAIS was made available as freeware, including the game content.
SAIS's sequels, Weird Worlds: Return to Infinite Space (Windows, Mac, tablet; 2005) and Infinite Space III: Sea of Stars (Windows; 2014-2015), feature far more content and options, and is currently available for Windows and Mac.
- source on digital-eel.com
- sais on infinitespacegames.com "After being sold for several years by Cheapass Games, Strange Adventures in Infinite Space was released as free software and its source code was made available under the GNU General Public License. Go to the Strange Adventures in Infinite Space website to download the game, source code and various other goodies"
- "A Perfect Short Game" in Gamasutra (September 15, 2004)
- "IGF Competition Finalists" on igf.com in 2003
- Official Strange Adventures in Infinite Space site
- Infinite Space Games: Official umbrella site for all Digital Eel "Infinite Space" electronic and table games
- Strange Adventures in Infinite Space at MobyGames
- Strange Adventures in Infinite Space page at Paizo Publishing (CD version)
- Astraware (publisher of Pocket PC and Palm OS ports)
|This strategy video game–related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|