|Studio album by Dio|
|Released||October 25, 1993 (Europe & Japan)
January 26, 1994 (USA)
Los Angeles, California, USA
|Label||Reprise (North America)
Vertigo (rest of the world)
|Ronnie James Dio chronology|
|The Rolling Stone Album Guide|||
Strange Highways is the sixth studio album by the American heavy metal band Dio. It's also their first album since Ronnie James Dio and Vinny Appice's reunion tour with Black Sabbath. The European release was on Vertigo, in October 1993; the U.S. release was on Reprise Records, in January 1994.
After the short-lived reunion with Black Sabbath for the recording of the album Dehumanizer (1992) and the subsequent tour, Dio and Appice returned to Dio's solo group, hiring Tracy Grijalva as new guitarist.
All lyrics written by Ronnie James Dio, music as stated.
|1.||"Jesus, Mary & the Holy Ghost"||Dio, Grijalva, Pilson||4:13|
|2.||"Firehead"||Appice, Dio, Grijalva and Pilson||4:06|
|3.||"Strange Highways"||Appice, Dio, Grijalva and Pilson||6:54|
|4.||"Hollywood Black"||Dio, Grijalva, Appice||5:10|
|5.||"Evilution"||Appice, Dio, Grijalva and Pilson||5:37|
|7.||"One Foot in the Grave"||Appice, Dio, Grijalva and Pilson||4:01|
|8.||"Give Her the Gun"||Dio, Grijalva, Pilson||5:58|
|9.||"Blood from a Stone"||Appice, Dio, Grijalva and Pilson||4:14|
|10.||"Here's to You"||Appice, Dio, Grijalva and Pilson||3:24|
|11.||"Bring Down the Rain"||Appice, Dio, Grijalva and Pilson||5:45|
"Hollywood Black" was demoed by Black Sabbath during the Dehumanizer sessions. "Whether it's the same, I don't know…" Tony Iommi remarked of Dio's version (before hearing it). "Could be the same lyrics – probably is. I wouldn't think he would use the same music."
|1994||German Albums Chart||79|
|Billboard 200 (USA)||142|
- Recorded at Rumbo Recorders, Los Angeles, California, USA
- Produced, engineered and mixed by Mike Fraser
- Assistant engineered by Andy Udoff
- Mixed at Record Plant, Los Angeles, California, USA
- Originally mastered by George Marino at Sterling Sound, New York City, USA
- Cover illustration by Wil Rees
- Anderson, Jason. "Strange Highways - Dio". Allmusic. Retrieved 2012-03-18.
- Sinclair, Tom (1994-01-28). "Strange Highways Review". Entertainment Weekly. Retrieved 2012-06-06.
- Nathan Brackett; Christian David Hoard (2004). The new Rolling Stone album guide. New York: Simon & Schuster. p. 239. ISBN 978-0-7432-0169-8. Retrieved 2012-06-06.
- Southern Cross No.19, March 1997
- "Album – DIO, Strange Highways". Charts.de (in German). Media Control Charts. Retrieved 2013-11-10.
- "Strange Highways Billboard Albums". Allmusic. Rovi Corporation. Retrieved 2013-11-10.
- Saulnier, Jason (24 March 2012). "Vinny Appice Interview". Music Legends. Retrieved 6 May 2013.