This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
- A boundary-spanning vision or “strategic intent”
- Realization of important benefits to “strategic” stakeholders and
- Transformation & alignment of the organization
Strategic initiatives are the means through which a vision is translated into practice  Strategic initiatives are collections of finite-duration discretionary projects and programs, outside of the organization's day-to-day operational activities, that are designed to help the organization achieve its targeted performance.
A number of firms have established senior management positions as Vice President, Strategic Initiatives; Director of Strategic Initiatives; and Manager of Strategic Initiatives.
- Githens, Gregory D. "Vision into Results….Introducing Leading Strategic Initiatives". Retrieved 7 June 2011.
- Brache, Alan (2006). Implementation. New York: McGraw-Hill. p. 195. ISBN 0-07-146155-8.
- Kaplan, Robert. The Execution Premium: Linking Strategy to Operations for Competitive Advantage. 103: Harvard Business School Press. ISBN 978-1-4221-2116-0.
- Githens, Gregory. "Vice President, Director, Manager of Strategic Initiatives: Position Description Best".