Stratford Point Light
Stratford Point Lighthouse
|Year first constructed||1822 (first)|
|Year first lit||1881 (current)|
|Construction||cast iron tower|
|Tower shape||conical frustum tower with balcony and lantern|
|Markings / pattern||white tower with brias red band, red lantern roof|
|Height||35 ft (11 m)|
|Focal height||52 ft (16 m)|
|Original lens||First order Fresnel lens (1855)
Third order Fresnel lens (1881)
Fourth order Fresnel lens (1906)
190 mm lens (1990)
|Characteristic||Fl (2) W 20s.|
United States Coast Guard
Stratford Point Light is a historic lighthouse in Stratford, Connecticut, United States, at the mouth of the Housatonic River. The second tower was one of the first prefabricated cylindrical lighthouses in the country and remains active.
It sits on a 4-acre (1.6 ha) tract at the southeastern tip of Stratford Point.
The first Stratford Point Lighthouse was built in 1822. In 1855 a fifth order lens was added to the 28-foot (8.5 m) wooden tower. In 1881, the tower and dwelling were razed and replaced with a 35-foot (11 m) tall, brick lined cast-iron tower and equipped with a third order Fresnel lens. The light was automated in 1970 with a modern beacon. It is an active aid to navigation and is used for Coast Guard housing.
The lighthouse was listed on the National Register of Historic Places on June 29, 1990.
- Samuel Buddington (1822 – 1843)
- William Merwin (1843 – 1844)
- Samuel Buddington (1844 – 1848)
- Amy Buddington (1848 – 1861)
- Rufus Warren Buddington (1861 – 1869)
- Benedict Lillingston (1869 – 1874)
- John L. Brush (1874 – 1879)
- Jerome B. Tuttle (1879 – 1880)
- Theodore Judson (1880 – 1919)
- William F. Petzolt (1919 – 1946)
- Daniel F. McCoart (1946 – 1963)
- Richard L. Fox (1963 – )
- List of lighthouses in Connecticut
- List of lighthouses in the United States
- National Register of Historic Places listings in Fairfield County, Connecticut
- Stratford Point Lighthouse New England Lighthouses. Retrieved 23 June 2016
- Stratford Point The Lighthouse Directory. University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. Retrieved 23 June 2016
- Connecticut Historic Light Station Information & Photography United States Coast Guard. Retrieved 23 June 2016
- "Lights & Legends, A Historical Guide to Lighthouses of Long Island Sound, Fishers Island Sound, and Block Island Sound", Harlan Hamilton, Westcott Publishing Company, 1987.
- "Northeast Lights: Lighthouses and Lightships, Rhode Island to Cape Mary, New Jersey", Robert G. Bachand, Sea Sports Publications, 1989.
- "Lighthouses of Southern New England: Massachusetts, Rhode Island and Connecticut, A Pictorial Guide", Courtney Thompson, CatNap Publications, 2002.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Stratford Point Lighthouse.|
- United States Coast Guard
- lighthouse.cc: Stratford Point Light
- lighthousefriends.com: Inventory of Historic Light Stations
- NPS.gov: Stratford Point, CT
- Location on Google Maps
- Stratford Point Lighthouse
|This article relating to a United States lighthouse is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|