Strawberry Crest High School
|Strawberry Crest High School|
4691 Gallagher Road|
Dover, Florida 33527
|Type||Public high school|
|School district||Hillsborough County Public Schools|
Red, Black, and Silver|
Strawberry Crest High School is a public high school in East Hillsborough County, Florida. It opened on August 25, 2009 with students from Armwood High School, Durant High School and Plant City High School. It was built to relieve the over-population of the students in these high schools. Along with Steinbrenner High School, it is the most recently constructed high school in Hillsborough County. Strawberry Crest is the 4th high school in Hillsborough County to be certified as an International Baccalaureate high school. A number of the instructors for the IB courses come from the International Baccalaureate Program at the older C. Leon King High School, in Tampa.
The school is located at the intersection of Gallagher Road and Newsome Road in Dover, Florida, on land that was once the family farm of longtime school board member Joe E. Newsome. The school mascot is the Chargers, which is similar to the logo of the NFL team Denver Broncos, although dressed in the school colors which are red, black, and silver. The school was named Strawberry Crest in order to honor the strawberry growers of the region. Strawberrry Crest is one of only three high schools whose students are eligible to become queen of the Florida Strawberry Festival, along with Durant, Plant City, and Hillsborough Community College.
- "STRAWBERRY CREST HIGH SCHOOL". National Center for Education Statistics. Retrieved November 25, 2017.
- Hooper, Ernest. "Principal preps for Strawberry Crest High's fall opening". tampabay.com. Tampa Bay Times. Retrieved 1 April 2016.
- Lutz parents bump heads on school boundaries – St. Petersburg Times. Tampabay.com. Retrieved on 2011-09-25.
- [dead link]
- Kenney, Linda Chion. "Newsome Namesake Gears Up for 2013 Florida Strawberry Festival". Retrieved 12 October 2017.
- Smetana, Kevin (20 August 2009). "Strawberry Crest High in Dover glistens with newness for first students". Retrieved 12 October 2017.
- "New East County High School Will Be Strawberry Crest". 7 November 2008. Retrieved 12 October 2017.
- "News of Opening - Times"