|Course||Dessert, tea, coffee|
|Main ingredients||Cake batter, strawberries|
Strawberry cakes may be prepared with strawberries in the batter, with strawberries atop them, with strawberries or a strawberry filling in between the layers of a layer cake, and in any combination thereof. Some are prepared with strawberries incorporated into a frosting. Fresh or frozen strawberries may be used. Some may utilize strawberry-flavored gelatin as an ingredient, which can give the cake a pink color when it is mixed in with the batter. A garnish of strawberries is used on some strawberry cakes. Strawberry cake may be prepared as a gluten-free dish.
Some versions are served chilled, and some are frozen and then served in a partially frozen state. Ricotta cheese is sometimes used as an ingredient in the cake batter or as a topping. Strawberry cake is sometimes prepared using a prepared cake mix as a base, such as a white cake mix, upon which additional ingredients are added to the batter or atop the cake. It is sometimes prepared and served as a dish on Valentine's Day.
A strawberry cake prepared in the shape of a snake
A close-up view of a strawberry cake for Valentine's Day
A slice of strawberry cake
A strawberry wedding cake
A slice of strawberry cakes in buffet
A strawberry layer cake with strawberries in the frosting between the layers and a strawberry garnish
Swedish Midsummer cake with strawberries and cream
La Trinidad, Benguet Strawberry Festival
On March 20, 2004 at the Strawberry Festival in the La Trinidad, Benguet municipality of the Philippines, the world's largest strawberry shortcake was prepared and confirmed by Guinness World Records. The cake was prepared by several bakers and weighed a total of 21,213.40 lb (9,622.23 kg).
In March 2015 at the La Trinidad Strawberry Festival, 6,000 slices of strawberry cake were served as part of the events. The cakes for the slices were prepared using fresh strawberries. Additional foods served at the event included strawberry cupcakes, strawberry kutsinta (a steamed rice cake) and strawberry wine. Some bakeries and restaurants purvey strawberry cake as a part of their fare.
- Mesnier, R.; Chattman, L. (2007). Roland Mesnier's Basic to Beautiful Cakes. Simon & Schuster. pp. 63–72. ISBN 978-1-4165-4619-1.
- Lambert, Alison (December 2, 2015). "In season: Strawberry cake". Otago Daily Times. Retrieved December 2, 2015.
- Byrn, A. (2011). The Cake Mix Doctor's 25 Best Birthday Cakes. Workman Shorts. Workman Publishing Company. pp. 31–33. ISBN 978-0-7611-6348-0.
- Lee, S. (2005). Sandra Lee Semi-Homemade Desserts. Sandra Lee semi-homemade. Wiley. p. 167. ISBN 978-0-696-22684-7.
- Miller, W. (2015). Whitney Miller's New Southern Table: My Favorite Family Recipes with a Modern Twist. Thomas Nelson. pp. 241–242. ISBN 978-0-7180-1161-1.
- Edmunds, K. (2015). Destination Desserts. WestBow Press. pts 8–11. ISBN 978-1-4908-8254-3.
- Graslie, Serri (June 13, 2013). "Saving Grandma's Strawberry Cake From The Clutches Of Jell-O". NPR. Retrieved December 2, 2015.
- Byrn, A.; Fink, B. (2010). The Cake Mix Doctor Bakes Gluten-Free. Workman Publishing Company. pp. 22–24. ISBN 978-0-7611-6098-4.
- "5-Ingredient Strawberry Icebox Cake". Yahoo Food. August 7, 2015. Retrieved December 2, 2015.
- McCormack, N.J. (1989). Creative Quantity Cooking. Aspen Publishers. pp. 87–88. ISBN 978-0-8342-0058-6.
- "Strawberry ricotta cake". The Christian Science Monitor. June 8, 2015. Retrieved December 2, 2015.
- Yen, Donna (May 12, 2015). "Cake of the Day: Ricotta Strawberry Cake". Yahoo Food. Retrieved December 2, 2015.
- "'Best ever' strawberry cake starts with a mix". Detroit News. January 13, 2015. Retrieved December 2, 2015.
- Pierce, Kim (February 3, 2015). "10 Valentine's Day gift ideas for people who don't like chocolate". Dallas Morning News. Archived from the original on December 8, 2015. Retrieved December 2, 2015.
- "Largest fruit shortcake". Guinness World Records. 20 March 2004. Retrieved 2 December 2015.
- Locsin, Joel (August 10, 2015). "Get ready for 6,000 slices of strawberry cake in Benguet". GMA News. Retrieved December 2, 2015.
- "Strawberry cake forever". Los Angeles Times. September 30, 2009. Retrieved December 2, 2015.
- Gill, J.T. (1881). The Complete Bread, Cake, and Cracker Baker: In Two Parts. J. Thompson Gill, manager Confectioner and Baker Publishing Company. p. 205.
- Brigman, H. (2013). The Fresh Table: Cooking in Louisiana All Year Round. LSU Press. pp. 55–57. ISBN 978-0-8071-5046-7. Retrieved December 2, 2015.