Strawberry sauce is a culinary sauce and coulis prepared using strawberries as a main ingredient. It is typically used as a dessert sauce, although it can also be used on savory dishes. Simple versions can be prepared using blended, macerated or crushed strawberries and sugar, along with some cornstarch as a thickener. This simple mixture can be cooked to marry the ingredient flavors and to enable the cornstarch to thicken, if used. Lemon juice is also sometimes used as an ingredient. Fresh or frozen strawberries can be used in its preparation.
Strawberry syrup is a type of strawberry sauce. It is a mass-produced food product that is packed into plastic containers and bottles and provided to consumers, businesses and food manufacturers. The syrup is used in the manufacturing of strawberry sodas.
- Longbotham, L.; Carrier, J. (2006). Luscious Berry Desserts. Chronicle Books. p. 136. ISBN 978-0-8118-4414-7. Retrieved February 25, 2019.
- "Recipe of the week: Squab, spelt, wild strawberries". The Caterer. February 23, 2019. Retrieved February 25, 2019.
- Miller, J. (2006). Better Homes and Gardens New Cook Book. Better Homes and Gardens Plaid Series. Meredith Books. p. 524. ISBN 978-0-696-22403-4. Retrieved February 25, 2019.
- Good Housekeeping. International Magazine Company. 1919. p. 71. Retrieved February 25, 2019.
- Purvis, Kathleen (May 20, 2016). "Make this delicious strawberry sauce". Charlotte Observer. Retrieved February 25, 2019.
- Baggett, N. (2005). The All-American Dessert Book. Houghton Mifflin. p. 317. ISBN 978-0-618-24000-5. Retrieved February 25, 2019.
- Food Flavors and Chemistry: Advances of the New Millennium. Special Publications. Royal Society of Chemistry. 2007. p. 632. ISBN 978-1-84755-085-9. Retrieved February 25, 2019.
- The American Food Journal. American Food Journal, Incorporated. 1917. p. 322. Retrieved February 25, 2019.
- Milk Plant Monthly. Milk plant monthly. 1920. p. 58. Retrieved February 25, 2019.
- Corvo, Kevin (February 21, 2019). "Sample best-of show desserts, learn tips from Ohio State Fair food-award winners". The Columbus Dispatch. Retrieved February 25, 2019.