Stray Cat Strut
|"Stray Cat Strut"|
|Single by Stray Cats|
|from the album Stray Cats / Built for Speed|
"Drink That Bottle Down" (UK)
"What's Goin' Down (Cross That Bridge)" (Japan)
|Released||April 16, 1981 (UK)
June 11, 1982 (US)
EMI America (US)
US 7" single cover
"Stray Cat Strut" is the eighth track on the Stray Cats' debut album, Stray Cats, released in 1981 in the UK, where it peaked at No. 11. That same year it peaked at No.78 on US Dance/Disco chart, where it was released as an import record. In the US, the song was released in 1982 on Built for Speed. The song became a hit in the US, peaking at No. 3 on the Billboard Hot 100. The music video for the song received extensive airplay on MTV during the channel's early days. The video consisted of band members (and extras) performing in an alley while an irate resident throws things at them. It also featured scenes from the 1949 MGM cartoon Bad Luck Blackie.
- Setzer later played this song with his subsequent band, the Brian Setzer Orchestra, and released live recordings on Jumpin' East of Java, The Ultimate Collection, Don't Mess with a Big Band (Live!) and Christmas Comes Alive!.
- In 1989, Spanish rockabilly band Los Renegados covered the song in Spanish as Gato de callejón, which in turn was later covered in 2006 by Jack y Los Daniels.
- In 2006, the ska punk band Reel Big Fish covered the song for a compilation titled Go Cat Go! A Tribute to Stray Cats.
On the seventh season of Dancing with the Stars, Rocco DiSpirito and Karina Smirnoff danced a foxtrot to this song. William Levy and Cheryl Burke also danced a foxtrot to this song on the 14th season of the show.
- Whitburn, Joel (2004). Hot Dance/Disco: 1974-2003. Record Research. p. 247.
- Whitburn, Joel (2004). The Billboard Book of Top 40 Hits: Eighth Edition. Record Research. p. 609.
- Guitar Lists