Stream of Passion
|Stream of Passion|
Stream of passion in a lave at the Netherlands, in 2009.
|Genres||Progressive metal, symphonic metal, gothic metal|
|Labels||InsideOut Music / SPV, Napalm|
Arjen Anthony Lucassen
Johan van Stratum
Stream of Passion was a Dutch progressive metal band with symphonic, latin and gothic influences founded by guitarist and composer Arjen Anthony Lucassen and Mexican singer, violinist, and lyricist Marcela Bovio. They have released four studio albums.
In 2007, Lucassen left the band to continue on their own as he had originally planned, together with his girlfriend guitarist Lori Linstruth, and keyboardist Alejandro Millán; Bovio, her boyfriend and bassist Johan van Stratum and producer Joost van den Broek handling the composition duties afterwards. After keeping a steady line-up since 2009, the band announced in April 2016 that they would disband, wanting to end on a high note rather than letting the interest and inspiration fade away, after a live album entitled Memento and a final show on December 28, 2016.
Lucassen and Bovio had previously collaborated in Ayreon's album The Human Equation, for which Bovio (then in band Elfonía) was selected by Lucassen via an internet female singing contest. Lucassen then decided to create a new band with her as lead vocalist, and selected other little-known musicians to form the rest of the band: van Stratum, keyboardist Alejandro Millán (from Elfonía as well), guitarist Lori Linstruth, and drummer Davy Mickers. Because the musicians in the band lived thousands of miles apart, Lucassen composed the group's 2005 debut album, Embrace the Storm, over the Internet, with Bovio writing all the lyrics. A live album, Live in the Real World, featuring songs from Lucassen's other projects Ayreon and Star One, was released the following year.
In 2007, half of the Stream of Passion's line-up decided to leave: Lucassen left to make them continue their own career as he had planned since the creation, while Linstruth and Millán also decided to quit. The three were respectively replaced by Hazebroek, Schultz, and Revet. After the release in 2009 of the band's first album without Lucassen on composition, The Flame Within, Mickers decided to leave the band, with Bovio and van Stratum being the only original members left. He was replaced by Peters who featured on the band's third album in 2011, Darker Days.
In 2012 Stream of Passion left Napalm Records and decided to become an independent band, launching an Indiegogo campaign to finance their fourth full studio album. The new album, A War of Our Own, was released on April 18, 2014.
In April of 2016 the band announced via Facebook that they would be separating at the end of the year, saying "Over the past eleven years we've had the time of our lives playing in stages all over the world and sharing moments of joy on stage. But all good things come to an end, and we feel it's time to move on and search for new musical challenges. We're proud of everything we've achieved, with your help, and we want to end the band history on a high note instead of losing focus, interest and drive. Before parting ways as a band we will perform a few goodbye shows; we also want to record a DVD to serve as a memento of the good times we've had. [...] Once again, we'd like to express our eternal gratitude for the support you've given us all these years. All of us will continue to make music, one way or the other; so we still hope to see you soon on a stage near you. Thank you for being part of the wonderful adventure that has been Stream of Passion!"
- Last Lineup
- Marcela Bovio - lead vocals, violin (2005–2016)
- Johan van Stratum - bass (2005–2016)
- Eric Hazebroek - lead/rhythm guitar (2007–2016)
- Stephan Schultz - lead/rhythm guitar (2007–2016)
- Jeffrey Revet - keyboards, synthesizers, piano (2007–2016)
- Martijn Peters - drums (2009–2016)
- Former members
- Arjen Lucassen - lead/rhythm guitar, keyboards, backing vocals (2005–2007)
- Lori Linstruth - lead/rhythm guitar (2005–2007)
- Alejandro Millán - keyboards, piano, live backing vocals (2005–2007)
- Davy Mickers - drums (2005–2009)
- Session members
- Damian Wilson - vocals, acoustic guitar (live, 2006)
- Diana Bovio - backing vocals (live, 2006–2007)
- Joost van den Broek - production, mixing, mastering, songwriting (studio, 2009-2016)
- André Borgman - drums (live, 2009)
- Studio albums
- Live albums
- Live in the Real World (2006) (CD and DVD)
- Memento (2016) (CD)
- Out in the Real World (2006) – No. 49* NL Singles Top 100
- Stream Of Passion - Signs Deal with Napalm Records
- News @ Stream of Passion official website
- New Stream of Passion full length album | Indiegogo
- Becker, Thomas. "New STREAM OF PASSION albumin April". PowerMetal.de. Retrieved 22 February 2014.
- BLABBERMOUTH.NET - STREAM OF PASSION's 'The Flame Within' Lands On Dutch Chart
- Stream Of Passion - New Album Details
- Bovio, Marcela. "New Stream of Passion full length album". Indiegogo. Retrieved 21 February 2014.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Stream of Passion.|