Street Corner Symphony (group)
|Street Corner Symphony|
Performing live in October 2016.
|Years active||2010 – present|
|Past members||John Martin
Street Corner Symphony is an a cappella group from Nashville, Tennessee and a contestant on the second season of NBC's reality show The Sing-Off. During the The Sing-Off season finale, Street Corner Symphony claimed the second place title, losing the championship to Huntsville, Alabama group Committed. It was formed in 2010 for the sole purpose of entering The Sing-Off. The members are from several of the Southeastern United States, including Tennessee, Alabama and Florida; the group is based out of Nashville.
Street Corner Symphony was founded by Jon McLemore on May 28, 2010 to audition for the second season of the NBC show The Sing-Off. The group consisted of six members, including the Lister brothers, Ben Dixon, Sean Saunders and the McLemore brothers. Three weeks later, after passing the audition, Ben and Sean dropped out of the group, citing personal and work-related issues, leaving holes in high tenor and bass. This prompted Mark McLemore to approach two friends from his time in college, John Martin (Huntingdon College) and Adam Chance (The University of Alabama) to take their places. The group convened to meet the two over a weekend in June and successfully re-auditioned for the show.
In August 2011, John Martin took a sabbatical to complete a master's degree, and shortly thereafter Kurt Zimmerman (formerly of Eleventh Hour from The Sing-Off) began to fill in as a vocal percussionist. On March 4, 2013, Kurt announced his full-time membership in the group. Bass singer Adam Chance left the group in March 2016, to join Home Free.
SCS were the runners-up on the second season of NBC's The Sing-Off, which aired for three weeks beginning December 6, 2010. The group has also been featured in several commercial advertisements for the show, which can be seen on YouTube.
The band has released its own recordings through their own record label, UnPractice Records:
UnPractice Makes Perfect (2011)
- "Hey, Soul Sister" (3:54)
- "Holding On" (4:58)
- "Plain Jane" (3:46)
- "Drift Away" (3:17)
- "Most of It" (3:10)
- "Everything" (3:27)
- "World to Me" (3:15)
- "Mad World" (3:14)
- "Down on the Corner" (2:36)
- "Dead Man's Will" (2:56)
Southern Autumn Nostalgia (2013)
Their newest album, Southern Autumn Nostalgia, is composed of ten original songs written by group members Adam Chance, Jeremy Lister, Richie Lister, John Martin, and Mark McLemore. It was released on July 16, 2013, and features several guest artists from the worldwide a cappella community, including Pentatonix, The King's Singers, The Swingle Singers, Tim Storms, Andrea Figallo, Deke Sharon, & Voces8.
- "Voodoo" (3:26)
- "Emily" (3:46)
- "Little Old Me" (3:42)
- "Loves a Loser" (4:24)
- "Southern Autumn Nostalgia" (4:21)
- "Frozen in Time" (3:39)
- "Picturing You" (3:25)
- "Myriad of Stars" (4:24)
- "Sicut tempus fugit" (1:21)
- "Dragon Rider" (4:36)
- July 4, 2012: "Star-Spangled Banner"
- March 26, 2013: "Hard to Handle"
- October 4, 2013: "Royals"
- September 23, 2014: "Madness"
- October 8, 2014: "We Are the Chaos Brothers" - As part of Made In Network's "Find the Beauty"
- Featured on The Sing Off releases
SCS has been featured on compilations in conjunction with The Sing-Off
- 2010: "Auld Lang Syne" (track #10 on The Sing Off - Harmonies For The Holidays)
- 2010: "Creep" (Track 4 on The Sing-Off Season 2 Finalists - The Studio Sessions EP)
- NBC Universal "The Sing-Off" press release
- Contemporary A Cappella Society of America Profile
- Street Corner Symphony "About Us" page
- Kurt Zimmerman Facebook Post
- Street Corner Symphony YouTube page
- Southern Autumn Nostalgia Lyrics & Production Information
- Twitter Announcement of Southern Autumn Nostalgia