Street Smart (film)
|Directed by||Jerry Schatzberg|
|Produced by||Yoram Globus|
|Written by||David Freeman|
|Music by||Robert Irving III|
|Edited by||Priscilla Nedd|
|Distributed by||Cannon Group|
|March 20, 1987|
Magazine reporter Jonathan Fisher (Christopher Reeve), in danger of losing his job, promises to write a hard-hitting story on prostitution. When no one on the street will talk to him, he fabricates a story of a pimp that is so well-received it puts his career back on track. However, the police and the district attorney think the story is of a real pimp who is wanted for murder and start pressuring him to reveal the identity of his subject. Fast Black (Morgan Freeman), a pimp and police suspect, also believes that the story is about him and wants to know who betrayed him to Jonathan. From there a battle of wits and wills ensues between Jonathan and Fast Black, in addition to Jonathan becoming involved with one of the pimp's call girls, Punchy (Kathy Baker).
- Christopher Reeve as Jonathan Fisher
- Morgan Freeman as Leo Smalls, Jr. a.k.a. Fast Black
- Kathy Baker as Punchy
- Mimi Rogers as Alison Parker
- Andre Gregory as Ted Avery
- Jay Patterson as Leonard Pike
- Anna Maria Horsford as Harriet
Street Smart was a long time pet project of Christopher Reeve, but he was having difficulty getting the film financed. When the Cannon Group acquired the rights to Superman IV: The Quest For Peace, Reeve agreed to do the film partly because Cannon promised to give Street Smart the financial backing it needed.
Awards and nominations
Morgan Freeman was nominated for an Academy Award and a Golden Globe Award (among other honors) for Best Supporting Actor for his role. Despite having appeared in The Electric Company during the 1970s, Freeman has considered Fast Black to be his true breakthrough role. He also considers the role to be his favorite Oscar-nominated performance.
- Mills, Bart (1987-07-27). "And Now . . . Mighty 'Superman Iv' To The Rescue - Page 2 - Los Angeles Times". Articles.latimes.com. Retrieved 2013-09-29.
- Maslin, Janet (1987-03-27). "Film: Christopher Reeve Stars In 'Street Smart' - New York Times". Nytimes.com. Retrieved 2013-09-29.
- Maslin, Janet (1987-03-27). "Movie Review - Street Smart - FILM: CHRISTOPHER REEVE STARS IN 'STREET SMART' - NYTimes.com". Movies.nytimes.com. Retrieved 2013-09-29.
- Ebert, Roger (2013-09-20). "Street Smart Movie Review & Film Summary (1987)". Roger Ebert. Retrieved 2013-09-29.
- Benson, Sheila (1987-03-20). "Movie Review : The Word On The 'Street' Is Smart - Los Angeles Times". Articles.latimes.com. Retrieved 2013-09-29.
- Reeve, Christopher (1998), pp 221-224, 228
- Morgan Freeman talks 'Street Smart', winning an Oscar and reveals that acting isn't hard on YouTube
- Morgan Freeman Talks About His Big Career Break on YouTube