|Studio album by Steve Perry|
|Recorded||1983-1984 at Record One in Los Angeles, California|
Next Plateau Entertainment (distribution only)
|Producer||Steve Perry, Bruce Botnick|
|Steve Perry chronology|
|Encyclopedia of Popular Music|||
|The Rolling Stone Album Guide|||
|The Village Voice||C|
Street Talk is Steve Perry's first solo album, released in April 1984.
Street Talk contains Perry's biggest hit as a solo artist, "Oh Sherrie", written for his then-girlfriend Sherrie Swafford. The song hit #3 on the Billboard Hot 100 and #1 on Billboard's Rock chart, and the accompanying music video (also featuring Swafford) was a hit on MTV. Other singles included "Foolish Heart" (peaked at #18), "She's Mine" (peaked at #21), and "Strung Out" (peaked at #40).
There were a number of nods to Perry's pre-Journey band Alien Project on this album—in fact, that band was originally going to be called Street Talk. In the liner notes, Perry dedicates the album to Richard Michaels (the bassist for Alien Project). Also, drummer Craig Krampf was a member of Alien Project later in the 1970s.
It is one of the first albums Next Plateau Entertainment has distributed.
- "Oh Sherrie" (Bill Cuomo, Randy Goodrum, Craig Krampf, Perry) – 3:48
- "I Believe" (Goodrum, Duane Hitchings, Krampf, Perry) – 4:12
- "Go Away" (Cuomo, Goodrum, Perry) – 4:05
- "Foolish Heart" (Goodrum, Perry) – 3:39
- "It's Only Love" (Goodrum, Perry) – 3:47
- "She's Mine" (Goodrum, Perry) – 4:26
- "You Should Be Happy" (Goodrum, Perry) – 3:20
- "Running Alone" (John Bettis, Hitchings, Krampf, Perry) – 4:05
- "Captured by the Moment" (Cuomo, Goodrum, Perry) – 3:47
- "Strung Out" (Krampf, Perry, Billy Steele) – 3:51
- "My My My" (Perry, Krampf, Richard Michaels Haddad, Steve DeLacey) – 2:24 *
- "Harmony" (Perry) – 3:58 *
- "Makes No Difference" (Perry, Krampf, Haddad, DeLacey) – 4:53 *
- "Don't Tell Me Why You're Leaving" (Perry, Danny Kortchmar, Krampf) – 3:13 *
- "If Only for the Moment, Girl" (Perry, Goodrum) – 4:09 *
- Tracks 11 - 15 are bonus tracks on the 2006 CD reissue
- Tracks 11 - 13 are Alien Project demo recordings
- Track 14 is the b-side to Oh Sherrie
- Track 15 is second track from the USA for Africa album "We Are the World" 1985
- Lead & Backing Vocals: Steve Perry
- Drums, Percussion: Craig Krampf, Larrie Londin
- Drum Programming: Randy Goodrum
- Bass: Bob Glaub, Chuck Domanico, Kevin McCormick, Brian Garofalo
- Guitars: Michael Landau, Waddy Wachtel, Craig Hull, Billy Steele
- Keyboards: Steve Goldstein, Sterling Smith, Bill Cuomo, Randy Goodrum, Duane Hitchings, Robert Greenridge
- Saxophone: Steve Douglas
- Produced By Steve Perry and Bruce Botnick
- Recorded & Mixed By Niko Bolas
- Recording Assistant & Additional Engineering: Richard Bosworth
- Recording Assistant on "Strung Out": Denny Densmore
- Originally Mastered By Mike Reese
- Allmusic review
- Larkin, Colin (2006). Encyclopedia of Popular Music (4th ed.). Oxford University Press. p. 494. ISBN 0195313739.
- DeCurtis, Anthony; Henke, James; George-Warren, Holly, eds. (1992). The Rolling Stone Album Guide (3rd ed.). Random House. p. 541. ISBN 0679737294.
- Christgau, Robert (May 28, 1985). "Christgau's Consumer Guide". The Village Voice. New York. Retrieved April 20, 2016.
- Steve Perry talks about the recording of "Oh Sherrie" and Street Talk singles.
- Steve Perry discusses the Alien Project story and Street Talk.
- "Recording Industry Association of America". RIAA. Retrieved 2012-03-10.
- "Street Talk" (Liner Notes); Steve Perry CD, Columbia Records 1984.