This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Street workout is a physical activity performed mostly in outdoor parks or public facilities. It became a popular movement in Russia, Eastern Europe, and the United States, especially in New York City, Baltimore's urban neighborhoods, Myanmar, and Morocco. It has now spread all over the world. It is a combination of athletics, calisthenics, and sports.[unreliable source?] Street workout is a modern name for bodyweight workouts in outdoor parks. There are also street workout teams and organized competitions
A typical street workout routine often consists of physical exercises such as pull-ups, chin-ups, push-ups, dips, muscle-ups, sit-ups and squats. Street workout also involves some static (isometric) holds such as the human flag, front lever, back lever and planche.[unreliable source?]
Street workout is divided in two main branches, the first one being strength training and the second dynamics. Strength training includes the isometric holds like: planche, front lever, back lever, etc. Also, strength training includes single arm pull ups, hefestos, muscle-ups and many others. Dynamics includes movements like 360s and its variations, switchblades, and an incredible variety of tricks developed by the athletes which are connected with other moves in order to create routines or sets.
Some of the main benefits of street workout activities are:
- It is completely free;[unreliable source?]
- It can be performed anywhere outdoor or indoor;
- No training or gym equipment is required;
- It promotes healthy living, and a desirable physique can be attained with it;
- It is a social event.
At the beginning of the 21st century, classic exercises were modified and combined with elements from other sports. The starting point of the whole was New York. Through the sports parks there, people could do their workout without fitness studios. Sport or workout parks consist mostly of different pull-up bars, bars and hammocks, so that training is mainly with one's own body weight.
Different groups developed their own style by combining classical calisthenics with exercises from gymnastics, break dance, hip hop and freerunning, or to develop new movements themselves. These groups presented videos of the novel form of calisthenics on the internet and thus triggered a regular boom, especially in Eastern Europe.
In 2011 the first World Championship for Calisthenics / Street Workout in Riga was held. The WSWCF is the World Street Workout and Calisthenics Federation. Since then, a world championship has been held every year.
Among the best-known representatives of the modern calisthenics are the groups Barentaz, Baristi, Barstarzz, Bar-Barians and Street Workout Ukraine, and individuals such as Hannibal for King and Frank Medrano.
Basics of street workout
A typical street workout routine consists of:
- Athletics exercising – a system of exercises with various levels of exertion provided for health strengthening, development of strength and stamina, as well as for shaping an athletic constitution. Athletics exercising is used to increase strength level, develop physical shape and for rehabilitation.
- Isometric exercises – a type of strength training whereby you hold a static position.
- Calisthenics (Kalestenos) – is a complex of many simple exercises which are performed using purely body weight. The aim of these exercises is to train muscular strength and to evolve comprehensive fitness.
- Urban calisthenics – a form of body weight exercise performed with no or little apparatus. Individuals and/or groups train and exercise in urban areas and spaces. Advanced urban calisthenics skills include muscle ups, typewriter pull-ups and both front and back levers.
Street workouts are usually performed outdoor or in specifically designed street workout parks. A typical street workout park looks like a playground with a soft underground and consists of several bars, poles and other objects used for body weight exercises.
In street workout, people often create teams.
World Street Workout and Calisthenics Federation
The World Street Workout and Calisthenics Federation (WSWCF) is a non-governmental and non-profit organisation operating worldwide. It was founded April 8, 2011. WSWCF's main office is located in Riga, Latvia. The current president of the WSWCF is Maris Slezins.
- "CALISTHENICS - Street Workout Academy". Street Workout Academy. Retrieved 2016-01-15.
- "Isometric exercises - Street Workouts". Street Workouts. Retrieved 2016-01-15.
- "On Street Workout". PCC Blog. Retrieved 2016-01-15.
- "Which is better – street workout or gym?". Madbarz. Retrieved 2016-01-15.
- "Fitness goes gymless with street workout | The Manila Times Online". www.manilatimes.net. Retrieved 2016-01-15.
- "The Effect of Calisthenics Exercises at Various Intensity on Girl Students' Figure and Cardiorespiratory Functions--《Journal of Guangzhou Physical Education Institute》2003年06期". en.cnki.com.cn. Retrieved 2016-01-15.
- "Street Workout Programs". Street Workouts. Retrieved 2016-01-16.
- "IMG Arcade - Street Workout Parks". IMG Arcade. Retrieved 2015-01-15.
- "About WSWCF | WSWCF". wswcf.org. Retrieved 2016-01-04.
- "Managing Board WSWCF". wswcf.org. Retrieved 2016-01-04.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Street workout.|