|Studio album by Billy Joel|
|Released||October 11, 1974|
|Studio||Devonshire Sound Studios, North Hollywood, California|
|Billy Joel chronology|
|Singles from Streetlife Serenade|
Streetlife Serenade is the third studio album by American recording artist Billy Joel, released on October 11, 1974 by Columbia Records. The follow-up to his previous album Piano Man (1973), it was his last release until 1993's River of Dreams to be mostly recorded with session musicians, while Joel himself sang and played piano and other keyboards, although some of his backing musicians, guitarists Don Evans and Al Hertzberg, and banjo/pedal steel guitarist Tom Whitehorse played on the album. Joel also featured synthesizers for the first time, namely the Moog synthesizer.
The album peaked at No. 35 on the charts, eventually selling over 1 million copies. However, it did not enjoy the relative success of its predecessor, and marked the beginning of Joel's frosty relationship with critics and the music industry in general. It contains two songs that were featured in many of Joel's live shows during the 1970s: the instrumental "Root Beer Rag" and the short song "Souvenir", which Joel often played as the final encore during that time period. Live versions of "Streetlife Serenader" and "Los Angelenos" appeared on Joel's first live album, Songs in the Attic (1981).
Joel says that he had been touring in clubs and theatres and opening for big acts such as The Beach Boys, thus leaving him little time to write new songs, but was under pressure to put out a new album after Piano Man. He also says that he did not have many new songs, hence the inclusion of two instrumentals – "The Mexican Connection" and "Root Beer Rag". The back cover features a barefooted Joel sitting in a chair looking cross; Joel himself says that he had had his wisdom teeth extracted two days prior to the shoot. The front cover is a painting of a hotel and cafe located at 651 South Centre Street in Los Angeles, California..
All tracks written and composed by Billy Joel.
- "Streetlife Serenader" – 5:17
- "Los Angelenos" – 3:41
- "The Great Suburban Showdown" – 3:44
- "Root Beer Rag" (Instrumental) – 2:59
- "Roberta" – 4:32
- "The Entertainer" – 3:48
- "Last of the Big Time Spenders" – 4:34
- "Weekend Song" – 3:29
- "Souvenir" – 2:00
- "The Mexican Connection" (Instrumental) – 3:37
- Streetlife Serenade at AllMusic
- "Billy Joel: Streetlife Serenade > Consumer Guide Album". Robert Christgau. Retrieved 2011-08-25.
- Holden, Stephen (December 5, 1974). "Billy Joel Streetlife Serenade > Album Review". Rolling Stone (175). Archived from the original on 3 May 2008. Retrieved 29 November 2008.
- Billy Joel – Billy Joel on Streetlife Serenade – from The Complete Albums Collection – YouTube
- Kent, David (1993). Australian Chart Book 1970–1992. St Ives, NSW: Australian Chart Book. ISBN 0-646-11917-6.
- "Top Albums/CDs – Volume 22, No. 22, January 25, 1975". RPM. 1978-04-08. Retrieved 2013-09-08.
- "allmusic ((( Streetlife Serenade > Charts & Awards > Billboard Albums )))". allmusic.com. Retrieved 2011-03-19.
- "American album certifications – Billy Joel – Streetlife Serenade". Recording Industry Association of America. Retrieved 25 July 2012. If necessary, click Advanced, then click Format, then select Album, then click SEARCH.