Stretchin' Out in Bootsy's Rubber Band
|Stretchin' Out in Bootsy's Rubber Band|
|Studio album by|
|Released||January 30th, 1976|
|Studio||United Sound Systems, Detroit, Michigan|
|Bootsy's Rubber Band chronology|
Stretchin' Out in Bootsy's Rubber Band is the first album by American funk and soul band Bootsy's Rubber Band, an offshoot act of Parliament-Funkadelic led by bassist and vocalist William "Bootsy" Collins. It was released on January 30th, 1976, on Warner Bros. Records.
Recording and Release
|Christgau's Record Guide||B+|
The album was recorded around the same time as Parliament's Mothership Connection and Funkadelic's Let's Take It To The Stage at United Sound Systems in Detroit, Michigan. The album was produced by Collins and George Clinton. Collins co-wrote all of the album's seven songs (two with Clinton, one with vocalist Leslyn Bailey and four with Clinton and other band members) and did the arrangements (horn arrangements in collaboration with Fred Wesley).
Since its original release, Stretchin' Out in Bootsy's Rubber Band has been reissued and remastered several times. In 2007, the album was licensed through Rhino Records and reissued through the Collectors Choice Music service.
"I'd Rather Be With You" has been sampled several times on notable tracks.
- by Childish Gambino on his Grammy-winning song "Redbone" from his album "Awaken, My Love!" in 2016.
- by Beyoncé on her song "Be With You" from her 2003 debut album Dangerously in Love.
- by Adina Howard on her #2 charting hit song "Freak Like Me from her debut album Do You Wanna Ride? in 1995.
- by Eazy-E on his song "I'd Rather Fuck You" from the final N.W.A. album Niggaz4Life in 1991.
- by Tupac on his song "Ratha Be Ya Nigga" from the last album to be released during his lifetime All Eyez on Me in 1996.
- by Questionmark Asylum on their song "Get With You/I'd Rather Be With You" from their album The Album in 1995.
|1.||"Stretchin' Out (In a Rubber Band)"||William Collins, George Clinton||6:52|
|2.||"Psychoticbumpschool"||William Collins, George Clinton, Bernard Worrell, Phelps Collins||5:20|
|3.||"Another Point of View"||William Collins, George Clinton, Phelps Collins||7:02|
|4.||"I'd Rather Be With You"||William Collins, George Clinton, Gary Cooper||5:03|
|5.||"Love Vibes"||William Collins, Leslyn Bailey||4:51|
|6.||"Physical Love"||William Collins, George Clinton, Gary Cooper, Garry Shider||4:49|
|7.||"Vanish in Our Sleep"||William Collins, George Clinton||5:46|
Certain personnel are credited under nicknames on the album sleeve. The full names are given below.
|1976||Stretchin' Out in Bootsy's Rubber Band||59||10|
|1976||"I'd Rather Be With You"||—||25||—|
|"Stretchin' Out (In A Rubber Band)"||—||18||—|
- Robert Christgau review
- Garmon, Ron (2007). Stretchin' Out in Bootsy's Rubber Band (booklet). Bootsy's Rubber Band. Collectors Choice Music. pp. 1–4. CCM-845.
- "Bootsy Collins Shares His Multi-Layered Definition of Funk, Remembers the 'Magic' of Bernie Worrell".
- "Bootsy's Rubber Band US albums chart history". allmusic.com. Retrieved 2011-07-13.
- "Bootsy's Rubber Band US singles chart history". allmusic.com. Retrieved 2011-07-13.