String Quartet No. 5 (Shostakovich)
It consists of three movements, performed without a break:
- Allegro non troppo -
- Andante - Andantino - Andante - Andantino - Andante -
- Moderato - Allegretto - Andante
Playing time is approximately 30 minutes.
The work grows from a five note motif: C, D, E flat, B and C sharp, which contains the four pitch-classes of the composer's musical monogram: DSCH (E flat being S and B being H in German). This motif appears in a number of his other string quartets, including the Eighth, as well as his Tenth Symphony.
- Harris (2014)
- Griffiiths (2012)
- Griffiths, Paul (2012). "Quartet No. 5 in B-flat major for Strings, Op. 92". The Chamber Music Society of Lincoln Center.
- Harris, Stephen (2014). "Shostakovich: the string quartets, Quartet No. 5". Shostakovich: the string quartets.
- Parloff, Michael (25 March 2013). "Lecture on Shostakovich Quartets Nos. 1, 5, 6, & 12". YouTube.
|This article about a composition for a chamber music group is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|