|This article does not cite any sources. (December 2011) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
In computer science, string generation is the process of creating a set of strings from a collection of rules. This is an opposite process to that of parsing, which recognises a string based on some collection of rules.
Methods for generating strings include:
- While a deterministic finite automaton is often used to recognize strings it can easily be changed to generate strings.
|This section needs expansion. You can help by adding to it. (December 2011)|
Unsolved problems in string generation include:
- DGL -- Data Generation Language an apparently general facility for addressing this problem
- Eli Benderski blog with a demo in Python
- Bruce McKenzie paper on a general algorithm
- Generate strings matching a regular expression
- Generate strings from a yacc grammar
- comp.compilers discussion
- random essay random essay
- Generate random C programs
- Generate random string using python
|This computer science article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|