This article contains content that is written like an advertisement. (October 2019) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Type of business||Private|
|Headquarters||San Francisco, California|
|Area served||Australia, Austria, Belgium, Canada, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Italy, Ireland, Japan, Hong Kong, Luxembourg, Malaysia, Mexico, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Singapore, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, United Kingdom, United States |
Public beta Portugal
Private beta Brazil, India, Greece
|Founder(s)||Patrick Collison |
Radar (fraud prevention)
|Employees||2000+ (September 2019)|
Irish entrepreneurs John and Patrick Collison founded Stripe in 2009. In June 2010, Stripe received seed funding from Y Combinator, a start-up accelerator. In May 2011, Stripe received a $2 million investment from venture capitalists Peter Thiel, Sequoia Capital, and Andreessen Horowitz. In February 2012, Stripe received an $18 million Series A investment, led by Sequoia Capital at a $100 million valuation. Stripe launched publicly in September 2011 after an extensive private beta. Less than a year after its public launch, Stripe received a $20 million Series B investment. In March 2013, Stripe acquired chat and task-management application Kick-off.
In 2016, Stripe was valued at over $9 billion when it raised a $150 million round. In its next funding round in September 2018, Stripe received a $20 billion valuation while raising $245 million.
In 2019, Stripe raised an additional $100 million in a Series E round from investment firm Tiger Global Management, boosting the payment startup's valuation to $22.5 billion. Currently, Stripe is operating across four engineering hubs in Seattle, Dublin, San Francisco and Singapore. 
In September 2019, Stripe raised $250 million in a new funding round to take its enterprise value to $35 billion. In February 2020 Manhattan Venture Research in New York referred to Stripe as “ripe for an initial public offering (IPO)".
|Date||Funding Type||Number of Investors||Money Raised||Lead Investor||Valuation|
|Aug 2, 2010||Seed Round||1||--||Y Combinator||--|
|Mar 28, 2011||Seed Round||4||$2M||--||--|
|Feb 9, 2012||Series A||1||$18M||Sequoia Capital||$100M|
|Jul 9, 2012||Series B||9||$20M||General Catalyst||--|
|Jan 22, 2014||Series C||4||$80M||Founders Fund||$1.75B|
|Dec 2, 2014||Series C||7||$70M||Thrive Capital||$3.5B|
|Jul 31, 2015||Series C||7||$100M||--||--|
|Nov 25, 2016||Series D||3||$150M||CapitalG, General Catalyst||$9B|
|Sep 27, 2018||Series E||5||$245M||Tiger Global Management||$20B|
|Jan 29, 2019||Series F||1||$100M||Tiger Global Management||$22.5B|
|Sep 19, 2019||Series G||3+||$250M||Sequoia Capital, General Catalyst and Andreessen Horowitz||$35B|
Products and services
Stripe provides APIs that web developers can use to integrate payment processing into their websites and mobile applications. In April 2018, the company released anti-fraud tools that run alongside payment APIs to block fraudulent transactions.
The company expanded its services to include a billing product for online businesses. The new service operates within the Stripe platform, allowing businesses to manage subscription recurring revenue and invoicing.
On February 24, 2016, the company launched the Atlas platform that allows startups to incorporate more easily in the U.S. The platform originally launched as invite-only. In March 2016, Cuba was added to the list of countries covered under the program. Atlas was relaunched with improvements the following year. As of April 2017, Atlas had signed more than 200 international startups. As of March 2019, startups from 120 countries have used Stripe Atlas to start their business.
On April 30, 2018, the company announced an expansion to Atlas. The upgrades to Atlas included the ability to be used to set up Delaware-based limited liability companies.
On November 5, 2019, Stripe announced the launch of the Stripe command-line interface (CLI). Stripe's CLI is a way to interact with Stripe from the terminal and makes it easier to build, test, and manage integrations.
Stripe is reported to have participated in two funding rounds for Monzo, a “challenger” bank based in the U.K. Stripe's first investment in Monzo was reported on November 6, 2017, with a second investment in Monzo’s Series E fundraising round reported on October 10, 2018. Monzo’s valuation grew from approximately $350 million to $1.27 billion through these two rounds of fundraising. Stripe participated in a third round of funding for Monzo on June 24, 2019, which raised approximately $144 million in funding for Monzo at a valuation of approximately $2.5 billion, producing valuation growth of more than 600% between Stripe's initial investment in Monzo and its 2019 investment.
On August 28, 2018, TechCrunch reported that Stripe was leading the Series A fundraising round for Nigerian payment-processing company Paystack. The report noted this as an “interesting twist,” as Paystack is called “Stripe-like” and is reported to offer similar functionalities as Stripe’s.
On April 17, 2019, Stripe participated in a $40 million Series B fundraising round for Pilot, which provides cloud-based accounting automation services powered by artificial intelligence.
On September 25, 2019, Stripe participated in the $2.7 million seed funding round for the Philippine-based payment processing company PayMongo.
- Electronic commerce
- List of online payment service providers
- Payment gateway
- Payment service provider
- Subscription business model
- "Stripe: About page". stripe.com.
- "Inside Stripe, The PayPal Competitor Backed By PayPal Founders Peter Thiel, Elon Musk".
- "The Collison Brothers and Story Behind The Founding Of Stripe". Startup Grind. February 9, 2012. Archived from the original on April 7, 2014. Retrieved April 2, 2014.
- Brockman, Greg (April 2, 2014). "How Did Stripe Come Up With Its Name?". Forbes. Retrieved April 2, 2014.
- "Stripe Press resources".
- Arrington, Michael (March 28, 2011). "Stealth Payment Startup Stripe Backed By PayPal Founders". TechCrunch. Retrieved February 14, 2014.
- Mitroff, Sarah (9 February 2012). "Stripe attracts $18M in funding at $100M valuation". VentureBeat. Retrieved 14 February 2014.
- Warnimont, Joe (4 April 2018). "Stripe Review: Payment Processor with Advanced Development and Clear Pricing". Ecommerce Platforms. Retrieved 4 May 2018.
- "Stripe: instant payment processing for developers". Hacker News. 29 September 2011. Retrieved 14 February 2014.
- Tsotsis, Alexia (9 July 2012). "Sexy Payments Startup Stripe Swipes $20M From General Catalyst, Sequoia, Thiel And More". TechCrunch. Retrieved 14 February 2014.
- Rao, Leena. "Payments Company Stripe Makes First Acquisition, Buys Team Task Management And Collaboration App Kickoff". TechCrunch. Retrieved 16 January 2014.
- "Stripe expands its Atlas startup kit to let founders form LLCs – TechCrunch". techcrunch.com. Retrieved 2018-05-01.
- Vance, Ashlee (September 26, 2018). "Payment Startup Stripe Is Now a $20 Billion Company". www.bloomberg.com. Retrieved 2018-09-27.
- Fuscaldo, Donna. "Stripe Now Has A Valuation Of $35 Billion". Forbes. Retrieved 2019-11-02.
- Rooney, Ryan Browne,Kate (2019-01-30). "Stripe rides the online payments boom to a $22.5 billion valuation". CNBC. Retrieved 2019-08-06.
- Kim, Jay. "Now Worth $22.5 Billion, Stripe Is Ready To Tackle The Next Wave Of Online Commerce In Asia". Forbes. Retrieved 2019-08-06.
- "Stripe funding round – US online payments company rakes in $250m". Business News Today. 2019-09-21. Retrieved 2019-09-22.
- Taylor, Charlie. "Stripe ripe for stock market listing, says US-based analyst". The Irish Times. Retrieved 2020-02-04.
- Levy, Ari (7 May 2015). "The start-up that's out to conquer global payments". CNBC. Retrieved 23 April 2018.
- Carr, Austin (February 1, 2012). "Inside Stripe, The Paypal Competitor Backed By Paypal Founders Peter Thiel, Elon Musk". FastCompany. Retrieved April 2, 2014.
- Lunden, Ingrid. "Stripe debuts Radar anti-fraud AI tools for big businesses, says it has halted $4B in fraud to date". techcrunch.com. Retrieved 2018-04-18.
- "Stripe launches a new billing tool to tap demand from online businesses". techcrunch.com. Retrieved 2018-04-26.
- "Stripe Expands Startup Tools With Atlas, For Foreign Companies To Incorporate In Delaware – TechCrunch". beta.techcrunch.com. Retrieved 2018-05-01.
- "Stripe's startup toolkit Atlas opens for business in Cuba – TechCrunch". techcrunch.com. Retrieved 2018-05-01.
- "Stripe Opens Up Atlas for U.S. Startups". Bank Innovation. 2017-04-06. Retrieved 2018-05-01.
- "Atlas Overview | Stripe Atlas". stripe.com. Retrieved 2019-03-27.
- Verhage, Julie; Huet, Ellen (26 July 2018). "Stripe Starts Issuing Credit Cards". Bloomberg News. Retrieved 28 July 2018.
- "Stripe Terminal". stripe.com. Retrieved 2018-11-20.
- "Stripe Terminal Readers". Retrieved 2019-10-18.
- "Stripe Terminal Overview (Docs)". stripe.com. Retrieved 2018-11-20.
- "Stripe Makes Terminal Available Across The US". PYMNTS.com. 2019-06-11. Retrieved 2019-06-14.
- "Stripe Terminal is now generally available in the US". stripe.com. Retrieved 2019-06-14.
- "Sorbet is now open source". stripe.com. Retrieved 2019-11-02.
- "Stripe CLI". stripe.com. Retrieved 2019-11-06.
- "Challenger bank Monzo raises another £71M from Goodwater Capital, Stripe and Michael Moritz". TechCrunch. Retrieved 2019-06-14.
- "Monzo, the UK challenger bank, raises £85M Series E at a £1B pre-money valuation". TechCrunch. Retrieved 2019-06-14.
- Cook, James (2019-06-25). "Monzo's valuation hits £2bn as the digital bank raises £113m in fresh funding". The Telegraph. ISSN 0307-1235. Retrieved 2019-07-16.
- "Monzo, the UK challenger bank, raises £113M Series F led by YC's Continuity fund at a £2B post-money valuation". TechCrunch. Retrieved 2019-07-16.
- "Paystack, with ambitions to become the Stripe of Africa, raises $8M from Visa, Tencent… and Stripe itself". TechCrunch. Retrieved 2019-06-14.
- "Lambda School Raises $14M to Grow Coding School Offerings - EdSurge News". EdSurge. 2018-10-08. Retrieved 2019-06-14.
- "Rapyd nabs $40M led by Stripe and GC for 'fintech as a service,' a single API for payments, money transfer and more". TechCrunch. Retrieved 2019-06-14.
- "Stripe Backs $40 Million Investment in A.I. Accounting Startup Pilot". Fortune. Retrieved 2019-06-14.
- "Step raises $22.5 million to help teens manage their money". VentureBeat. 2019-06-06. Retrieved 2019-06-14.
- "Manila-based payments processing startup PayMongo raises $2.7 million in seed funding". TechCrunch. Retrieved 2019-09-26.
- Official website
- How I Built This - Stripe: Patrick and John Collison (audio interview)