|Type of business||Private|
|Founded||September 29, 2011|
|Headquarters||San Francisco, California|
|Area served||Australia, Austria, Belgium, Canada, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Ireland, Japan, Hong Kong, Luxembourg, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Singapore, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, United Kingdom, United States |
Private beta Brazil, Mexico, India
|Founder(s)||Patrick Collison |
Radar (fraud prevention)
|Employees||1500+ (February 2019)|
Stripe is a technology company based in San Francisco, California. Its software allows individuals and businesses to make and receive payments over the Internet. Stripe provides the technical, fraud prevention, and banking infrastructure required to operate online payment systems.
Irish entrepreneurs John and Patrick Collison founded Stripe in 2010. In June 2010, Stripe received seed funding from Y Combinator, a start-up accelerator. In May 2011, Stripe received a $2 million investment from venture capitalists Peter Thiel, Sequoia Capital, and Andreessen Horowitz. In February 2012, Stripe received an $18 million Series A investment led by Sequoia Capital at a $100 million valuation. Stripe launched publicly in September 2011 after an extensive private beta. Less than a year after its public launch, Stripe received a $20 million Series B investment. In March 2013, Stripe acquired chat and task-management application Kick-off.
In 2016, Stripe was valued at over $9 billion when it raised a $150 million round. In its next funding round in September 2018, Stripe received a $20 billion valuation while raising $245 million.
|Date||Funding Type||Number of Investors||Money Raised||Lead Investor||Valuation|
|Aug 2, 2010||Seed Round||1||--||Y Combinator||--|
|Mar 28, 2011||Seed Round||4||$2M||--||$100M|
|Feb 9, 2012||Series A||1||$18M||Sequoia Capital||--|
|Jul 9, 2012||Series B||9||$20M||General Catalyst||--|
|Jan 22, 2014||Series C||4||$80M||Founders Fund||$1.75B|
|Dec 2, 2014||Series C||7||$70M||Thrive Capital||$3.5B|
|Jul 31, 2015||Series C||7||$100M||--||--|
|Nov 25, 2016||Series D||3||$150M||CapitalG, General Catalyst||$9B|
|Sep 27, 2018||Series E||5||$245M||Tiger Global Management||$20B|
|Jan 29, 2019||Series E||1||$100M||Tiger Global Management||$22.5B|
Product and service development
Stripe provides APIs that web developers can use to integrate payment processing into their websites and mobile applications. In April 2018, the company released anti-fraud tools that run alongside payment APIs to block fraudulent transactions.
The company expanded its services to include a billing product for online businesses. The new service operates within the Stripe platform, allowing businesses to manage subscription recurring revenue and invoicing.
On February 24, 2016 the company launched the Atlas platform that allows startups to incorporate more easily in the U.S. The platform originally launched as invite-only. In March 2016, Cuba was added to the list of countries covered under the program. Atlas was relaunched with improvements the following year. As of April 2017, Atlas had signed more than 200 international startups. As of March 2019 startups from 120 countries have used Stripe Atlas to start their business.
On April 30, 2018 the company announced an expansion to Atlas. The upgrades to Atlas included the ability to be used to set up Delaware-based limited liability companies.
- Electronic commerce
- List of online payment service providers
- Payment gateway
- Payment service provider
- Subscription business model
- "Stripe: About page". stripe.com.
- "Inside Stripe, The PayPal Competitor Backed By PayPal Founders Peter Thiel, Elon Musk".
- Levy, Ari (7 May 2015). "The start-up that's out to conquer global payments". CNBC. Retrieved 23 April 2018.
- "The Collison Brothers and Story Behind The Founding Of Stripe". Startup Grind. February 9, 2012. Archived from the original on April 7, 2014. Retrieved April 2, 2014.
- Brockman, Greg (April 2, 2014). "How Did Stripe Come Up With Its Name?". Forbes. Retrieved April 2, 2014.
- "Stripe Press resources".
- Arrington, Michael (March 28, 2011). "Stealth Payment Startup Stripe Backed By PayPal Founders". TechCrunch. Retrieved February 14, 2014.
- Mitroff, Sarah (9 February 2012). "Stripe attracts $18M in funding at $100M valuation". VentureBeat. Retrieved 14 February 2014.
- Warnimont, Joe (4 April 2018). "Stripe Review: Payment Processor with Advanced Development and Clear Pricing". Ecommerce Platforms. Retrieved 4 May 2018.
- "Stripe: instant payment processing for developers". Hacker News. 29 September 2011. Retrieved 14 February 2014.
- Tsotsis, Alexia (9 July 2012). "Sexy Payments Startup Stripe Swipes $20M From General Catalyst, Sequoia, Thiel And More". TechCrunch. Retrieved 14 February 2014.
- Rao, Leena. "Payments Company Stripe Makes First Acquisition, Buys Team Task Management And Collaboration App Kickoff". TechCrunch. Retrieved 16 January 2014.
- "Stripe expands its Atlas startup kit to let founders form LLCs – TechCrunch". techcrunch.com. Retrieved 2018-05-01.
- Vance, Ashlee (September 26, 2018). "Payment Startup Stripe Is Now a $20 Billion Company". www.bloomberg.com. Retrieved 2018-09-27.
- Carr, Austin (February 1, 2012). "Inside Stripe, The Paypal Competitor Backed By Paypal Founders Peter Thiel, Elon Musk". FastCompany. Retrieved April 2, 2014.
- Lunden, Ingrid. "Stripe debuts Radar anti-fraud AI tools for big businesses, says it has halted $4B in fraud to date". techcrunch.com. Retrieved 2018-04-18.
- "Stripe launches a new billing tool to tap demand from online businesses". techcrunch.com. Retrieved 2018-04-26.
- "Stripe Expands Startup Tools With Atlas, For Foreign Companies To Incorporate In Delaware – TechCrunch". beta.techcrunch.com. Retrieved 2018-05-01.
- "Stripe's startup toolkit Atlas opens for business in Cuba – TechCrunch". techcrunch.com. Retrieved 2018-05-01.
- "Stripe Opens Up Atlas for U.S. Startups". Bank Innovation. 2017-04-06. Retrieved 2018-05-01.
- "Atlas Overview | Stripe Atlas". stripe.com. Retrieved 2019-03-27.
- Verhage, Julie; Huet, Ellen (26 July 2018). "Stripe Starts Issuing Credit Cards". Bloomberg News. Retrieved 28 July 2018.
- "Stripe Terminal". stripe.com. Retrieved 2018-11-20.
- "Stripe Terminal Overview (Docs)". stripe.com. Retrieved 2018-11-20.