|• Total||11,780.57 km2 (4,548.50 sq mi)|
|• Land||10,465.08 km2 (4,040.59 sq mi)|
|• Water||1,315.49 km2 (507.91 sq mi)|
|Area as of 1 January 2014.|
(31 December 2021)
|• Density||0.97/km2 (2.5/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+1 (CET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+2 (CEST)|
|ISO 3166 code||SE|
|Province||Jämtland and Ångermanland|
Strömsund Municipality was formed in 1974 through the amalgamation of the former municipalities of Fjällsjö, Frostviken, Hammerdal and Ström. The most populous locality in the area, Strömsund, was chosen as administrative centre, and it also gave its name to the new entity.
With an area of roughly 12,000 km² (4,500 sq mi), it is the sixth largest in Sweden, and one of the most sparsely populated. The town Strömsund has a municipal population of about 3,500 and is located on the slopes of Ströms vattudal, the river that flows through the town. Among locals, the town itself is usually referred to as Ström or Flata (a reference to the flack slope on which the central parts of the town is built).
|3||Hoting||749||Was prior to 1974 part of Västernorrland and is part of the Ångermanland frontier region.|
|4||Backe||625||Was prior to 1974 part of Västernorrland and is part of the Ångermanland frontier region.|
|6||Rossön||400||Was prior to 1974 part of Västernorrland and is part of the Ångermanland frontier region.|
The municipal seat in bold
Forest industry has traditionally been an important industry, but today tourism also has an important part. Like the rest of Jämtland, nature is what attracts visitors, with its blend of forests, mountains, lakes and rivers.
Another popular site is the cave Korallgrottan.
- "Statistiska centralbyrån, Kommunarealer den 1 januari 2014" (in Swedish). Statistics Sweden. 2014-01-01. Archived from the original (Microsoft Excel) on 2016-09-27. Retrieved 2014-04-18.
- "Folkmängd i riket, län och kommuner 31 december 2021" (in Swedish). Statistics Sweden. February 22, 2022. Retrieved February 22, 2022.
- Statistics Sweden as of December 31, 2005
- History of Fjällsjö: (Swedish description)År 1971 fördes Bodums, Fjällsjö samt Tåsjö församlingar över från Västernorrlands län till Jämtlands län och inkorporerades därvid med Strömsunds kommun.
- Official site (in Swedish)
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Strömsund Municipality.|