Strong High School
|Strong High School|
|635 South Concord Street
Strong, Arkansas 71765
|School type||Public comprehensive|
|School district||Strong–Huttig School District|
|NCES School ID||051293001049|
|Teaching staff||25.40 (on FTE basis)|
|Student to teacher ratio||9.13|
|Education system||ADE Smart Core|
Advanced Placement (AP)
|Athletics conference||2A 8 (Football); 2A 7 West (Basketball)|
|Team name||Strong Bulldogs|
|Communities served||Strong, Huttig, Urbana, Lapile, Felsinthaw, New London, Gardner|
|Federal Funding||Title I|
Strong High School (SHS) is a comprehensive public high school based in the town of Strong, Arkansas, United States. SHS provides secondary education for more than 200 students in grades 7 through 12. Strong is one of public high schools in Union County and is the sole high school of the Strong–Huttig School District.
The assumed course of study follows the Smart Core curriculum developed by the ADE, which requires students complete at least 22 units prior to graduation. Students complete regular (core and elective) and career focus courses and exams and may take Advanced Placement (AP) courses and exam with the opportunity to receive college credit. Strong High School receives Title I federal funding.
The Strong High School mascot and athletic emblem is the Bulldog with royal blue and white serving as the school colors.
The Strong Bulldogs compete in interscholastic activities within the 2A Classification from the 2A Region 8 Conference for football and 2A Region 7 West Conference as basketball, as administered by the Arkansas Activities Association. The Bulldogs field teams in football, basketball (boys/girls), fastpitch softball, and cheer.
- Football: The Bulldogs football team won the 2A classification state football championship in 2011.
Clubs and traditions
- Floyd Cramer (1951, Huttig High School)—American Hall of Fame pianist.
- Kenneth Dixon (born January 21, 1994) is an American football running back for the Baltimore Ravens of the National Football League (NFL). He played college football at Louisiana Tech.
- Mike Bender Played on 1964 National Championship team at the University of Arkansas. He was drafted to the Atlanta Falcons. He also coached at Arkansas and coached Brandon Burlsworth He died in 2016.
- "Search for Public Schools - School Detail for Strong High School". National Center for Education Statistics. Institute of Education Sciences. Retrieved 20 April 2013.
- "Institution Summary, Strong High School". AdvancED. Retrieved 20 April 2013.
- "Best High Schools 2012". U.S. News & World Report. Retrieved 20 April 2013.
- "School Profile, Strong High School". Arkansas Activities Association. Retrieved 20 April 2013.