|Studio album by Hank Williams Jr.|
Hank Williams Jr.
|Hank Williams Jr. chronology|
Strong Stuff is a studio album by American country music artist Hank Williams Jr.. It was released by Elektra/Curb Records in February 1983. "Gonna Go Huntin' Tonight" and "Leave Them Boys Alone" were released as singles. The album peaked at number 7 on the Billboard Top Country Albums chart and has been certified Gold by the RIAA.
While he praised the closing cut ("In this stately ballad about a lover's struggle with drugs, Hank's baritone coos, breaks, and flutters like a wounded butterfly as spare accompaniment by piano, harmonica and guitar pushes but never intrudes"), Lee Ballinger of Record gave the album an overall negative review. He was especially critical of "A Whole Lot of Hank", describing it as "a recitation of unconnected cliches ... carried bumpily along by a plodding instrumental track". He found some of the other songs overly similar to "A Whole Lot of Hank", and referred to "Leave Them Boys Alone" as "the obligatory song about other Southern musicians".
- "Gonna Go Huntin' Tonight" (Hank Williams Jr.) – 2:36
- "La Grange" (Frank Beard, Billy Gibbons, Dusty Hill) – 5:21
- "A Whole Lot of Hank" (Bill Emerson, Jody Emerson, Williams) – 2:55
- "Made in the Shade" (Ronnie Van Zant) – 4:35
- "Leave Them Boys Alone" (Dean Dillon, Gary Stewart, Tanya Tucker, Williams) – 3:36
- "The Girl on the Front Row at Fort Worth" (Williams) – 2:38
- "The Homecoming Queen" (Williams) – 4:22
- "Blue Jean Blues" (Beard, Gibbons, Hill) – 4:07
- "Twodot Montana" (Williams) – 2:39
- "In the Arms of Cocaine" (William Lee Golden, Buzz Rabin, Williams) – 4:08
- Kenny Bell – acoustic guitar
- David Briggs – keyboards
- Paul Hatfield – keyboards
- David Hungate – bass guitar
- Waylon Jennings – vocals on "Leave Them Boys Alone"
- Terry McMillan – harmonica
- Kenny Mims – electric guitar
- Farrell Morris – percussion
- Larry Muhoberac – keyboards
- Weldon Myrick – steel guitar
- Steve Nathan – keyboards
- Brent Rowan – electric guitar
- Gove Scrivenor – autoharp
- Randy Scruggs – dobro, acoustic guitar
- Denis Solee – saxophone
- Ernest Tubb – vocals on "Leave Them Boys Alone"
- Wayne Turner – electric guitar
- Billy Joe Walker Jr. – acoustic guitar
- Hank Williams Jr. – dobro, acoustic guitar, keyboards, lead vocals
- Reggie Young – electric guitar
|U.S. Billboard Top Country Albums||7|
|U.S. Billboard 200||64|