Strongsville High School
|Strongsville High School|
|20025 Lunn Road
Strongsville, Ohio, (Cuyahoga County), 44149
|Type||Public, Coeducational high school|
|School district||Strongsville City School|
|Asst. Principal||, Marino, Turner|
|Color(s)||Forest Green and White |
|Slogan||Home of the Mustangs|
|Athletics conference||Greater Cleveland Conference|
|Athletic Director||Paul Moses|
The school colors are forest green and white. The mascot is the Mustang. The school was a member of the Pioneer Conference but moved to the Northeast Ohio Conference at the conclusion of the 2006–07 school year. The fight song is to the tune of "On Wisconsin".
Strongsville High is designated an Ohio School of Excellence with Distinction—".
UNICEF is the world's leading organization for children, working in over 190 countries and territories to help children realize their full potential. UNICEF works for more children, in more places, and on more issues than any other humanitarian organization. The Strongsville High School UNICEF Club upholds the values of this organization by completing three major goals: educate, advocate, and fundraise.
The Strongsville Key Club, chartered in 1999, is a member of the Kiwanis International service-leadership program for high school students: Key Club International. Through Key Club, members learn leadership by the core values, which are centered around serving others.
The Marching Mustangs
Strongsville's marching band, the "Marching Mustangs," has participated in the Hollywood Christmas Parade, the Orange Bowl Parade, the Tournament of Roses Parade, the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade, and in the Inauguration Parade for President George H.W. Bush. They also went to Honolulu in the spring of 2009, along with the orchestra, led by Andy Hire. The band's annual hoagie sandwich fundraiser, where members of the band prepare and sell thousands of hoagies, and Mattress Fundraiser helps to cover its traveling expenses. The band is also supported by the Strongsville Instrumental Music Boosters. The band attended the Outback Bowl on January 1, 2011. In 2012 the band attended a week-long stay in Orlando performing in a pre-parade in Disney's Magic Kingdom.
The Strongsville High School German Club is one of the most active clubs in the school. Annually, it holds parties on German holidays, school-wide German trivia contests, and informs students of German culture and cultural traditions. It also supports the school's chapter of the German National Honor Society, Delta Epsilon Phi, or Deutsche Ehrenverbindung.
In late 2002 the school converted a rough field behind the school to a state-of-the-art 5,200 seat football stadium in just 84 days. The $1.85 million stadium was entirely privately financed. The name of the stadium is Pat Catan Stadium. The previous location of the high school football field was at Center Middle School. The stadium was featured on national television when the Mustangs took on the Glenville Tarblooders in 2006.
Ohio High School Athletic Association Division I State Championships:
Tim Arthurs holds the Ohio High School Athletic Association Record for highest completion percentage among Ohio high school quarterbacks in a single season, with 72.5% in 1998.
In January 2006 a male former Strongsville High student sued the school district and the police department claiming that they did nothing to stop an affair he had with a female teacher while he was a student at the school. The teacher concerned was put on probation.
- Margaret Raub won the Presidential award for excellence in teaching in 1986.
- OHSAA. "Ohio High School Athletic Association member directory". Retrieved 2010-02-17.
- "Member Schools". NOC. 2009. Retrieved 20 September 2009.
- "Strongsville High School", Strongsville City Schools, accessed December 21, 2007
- "Mustangs march off to Rose Bowl". Sun Newspapers. 2001-12-20. Retrieved 2007-12-20.[dead link]
- "Give Me A Beat" (Press release). Macy's Inc. November 2006. Retrieved 2007-12-20.
- "Strongsville (OH) High's new field: 83 days from ground-breaking to game", SportsTURF, December 01, 2002
- "Strongsville High School Baseball", Strongsville Mustangs
- OHSAA. "2006 Boys Division I State Baseball Championship". Ohio High School Athletic Association. Retrieved 2007-12-20.
- "2002 SOCCER TOURNAMENT - GIRLS DIVISION I" (PDF). Ohio High School Athletic Association. Retrieved 2007-12-20.
- "2005 SOCCER TOURNAMENT - GIRLS DIVISION I" (PDF). Ohio High School Athletic Association. Retrieved 2007-12-20.
- "OHSAA soccer: Strongsville wins Division I girls soccer state championship". Retrieved 2011-11-30.
- "Former Student Fights Teacher for Custody of Their Son", ABC News, January 27, 2006
- "Teacher Gets Probation for Affair", ABC News, June 12, 2007
- "Strongsville Teacher Honored", Akron Beacon Journal, October 24, 1986
- "D.J. Woods". gobearcats.com. Retrieved 14 April 2014.