Stroock & Stroock & Lavan
180 Maiden Lane|
New York City
|No. of offices||4|
|No. of attorneys||300+|
|Major practice areas||General practice|
|Company type||Limited liability partnership|
Stroock provides transactional and litigation guidance to leading multinational corporations, financial institutions, investment banks, and private equity firms in the U.S. and abroad. Stroock's practice areas include capital markets/securities, commercial finance, mergers and acquisitions and joint ventures, private equity, private funds, derivatives and commodities, employment law and benefits, energy and project finance, entertainment, environmental law, financial restructuring, financial services litigation, government relations, insurance, intellectual property, investment management, litigation, national security, personal client services, real estate, structured finance, and tax.
The firm and many of its attorneys are annually ranked and listed in a number of industry publications, including Chambers USA, Chambers Global, The Legal 500, Best Lawyers, and Super Lawyers.
The firm was founded in New York City in 1876 by M. Warley Platzek at 176 Broadway as a solo practice. In 1886, associate Moses J. Stroock joined the firm, followed ten years later by his younger brother, Sol M. Stroock. In 1907, when Platzek left for the New York Supreme Court, the firm was renamed Stroock & Stroock. Two years later, the firm moved to 30 Broad Street, adjacent to the New York Stock Exchange, and began cultivating its long-standing relationships with Wall Street’s major financial companies.
In 1919, Peter I. B. Lavan joined the firm. Over the next two decades, Stroock continued its shift toward a corporate and financial practice, developing a national reputation in commercial law. Its offices moved to 61 Broadway in 1937 and the firm was renamed Stroock & Stroock & Lavan in 1943.
Stroock opened its Los Angeles office in 1975. In 1983, the New York office moved to 7 Hanover Lane, and, finally, into its current office space at 180 Maiden Lane. In 2013, Stroock opened its Washington, DC office on K Street.
United Artist Media Group
- Corporate (i.e., Capital Markets/Securities; Commercial Finance; Mergers, Acquisitions, and Joint Ventures; and Private Equity/Venture Capital)
- Commodities and Derivatives
- Employee Benefits and Executive Compensation
- Employment Law
- Energy and Project Finance
- Environmental Law
- Financial Restructuring
- Financial Services Litigation
- Government Relations
- Intellectual Property
- Investment Management (including Private Funds)
- National Security/CFIUS Compliance
- Personal Client Services
- Real Estate
- Structured Finance
Notable past and current attorneys
- Robert Abrams, former New York State Attorney General
- Brian Cogan, federal judge
- Rita Hauser, US Ambassador to the UN Human Rights Council
- Alvin Hellerstein, federal judge
- Edward Korman, federal judge
- Margaret Nagle, federal judge
- Jules Polonetsky, head of the Future of Privacy Forum
- Shira Scheindlin, federal judge
- Lou Silver, American-Israeli basketball player
- William vanden Heuvel, former ambassador
- Randi Weingarten, head of the American Federation of Teachers
- Steven Schultz, District Judge, Colorado Seventh Judicial District
- bestlawyers.com, Stroock & Stroock & Lavan Law Firm Rankings, accessed July 9, 2013.
- chambersandpartners.com, Stroock & Stroock & Lavan LLP Chambers Profile, accessed July 9, 2013.
- superlawyers.com, Stroock & Stroock & Lavan LLP, L.A. Profile and Attorneys List, accessed July 9, 2013.
- Kay, Jeremy. "MGM, Mark Burnett form United Artists Media Group". Screen Daily. Retrieved 27 September 2014.