Strung Out in Heaven
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (January 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Strung Out in Heaven|
|Studio album by The Brian Jonestown Massacre|
|Released||June 23, 1998|
|The Brian Jonestown Massacre chronology|
Strung Out in Heaven is the seventh full-length album by American psychedelic rock band The Brian Jonestown Massacre. It was released in June 1998 and was the band's first and only recording with the large independent label, TVT Records.
After releasing a number of well-received recordings on the smaller psychedelia-focused Bomp! Records label, The Brian Jonestown Massacre were signed to a multi-record deal with TVT.
Recording and content
"Wisdom" is a re-recording of the same song that originally appeared on the band's second album, Methodrone. "Dawn" is also a re-recording, with the original version appearing on Take It from the Man!. "Spun" is also a re-recording of the same song that appears on the band's album Thank God for Mental Illness.
AllMusic's Jason Ankeny writes, "Settling into a blissfully psychedelic drift, the album opts not for the Stones-inspired raunch of before but for Byrds-like guitars, muffled drums and pulsating Hammond organ lines, all topped off by Anton Newcombe's half-stoned, half-shamanic vocals".
The recording didn't sell as many records as TVT had hoped, and they later mutually dissolved their remaining contractual obligations.
"Love" was released as a CD single, with a demo of "Wasting Away" as a B-side on TVT Records in 1998. "Love" and "Nothing to Lose" was also released as a double A-side single independently in 1997. The release featured "Let's Pretend It's Summer", "I've Been Waiting", "The Devil May Care (Mom & Dad Don't)" and an alternate version of "I've Been Waiting" as B-sides.
AllMusic praised the album, calling it "their least immediate, most restrained record to date [...] Strung Out in Heaven proves as engaging as their past efforts, with a focus and cohesiveness often lacking from their more visceral work", also calling it "the BJM's most mature outing yet". Head Heritage described it as "BJM's most easily accessible and truly genius album thus far."
All tracks written by The Brian Jonestown Massacre.
|1.||"Going to Hell" (lyrics/vocals Newcombe)||2:59|
|2.||"Let's Pretend It's Summer" (lyrics/vocals Newcombe)||3:37|
|3.||"Wasting Away" (lyrics/vocals Newcombe)||3:14|
|4.||"Jennifer" (lyrics/vocals Newcombe)||3:32|
|5.||"Got My Eye on You" (lyrics Hollywood/vocals Hollywood/Gion)||3:11|
|6.||"Nothing to Lose" (lyrics/vocals Newcombe)||2:52|
|7.||"Love" (lyrics/vocals Newcombe)||3:54|
|8.||"Maybe Tomorrow" (lyrics/vocals Hollywood)||4:13|
|9.||"Spun" (lyrics/vocals Hollywood (re-recording))||4:15|
|10.||"I've Been Waiting" (lyrics/vocals Newcombe)||4:25|
|11.||"Dawn" (lyrics/vocals Newcombe) (re-recording)||2:13|
|12.||"Lantern" (lyrics/vocals Newcombe)||3:27|
|13.||"Wisdom" (lyrics/Newcombe/vocals Newcombe/Richards) (re-recording)||5:29|
- Anton Newcombe – vocals, guitar, bass, drums
- Matt Hollywood – bass, guitar, vocals
- Jeffrey Davies – guitar, organ
- Dean Taylor – guitar
- Joel Gion – percussion
- Miranda Lee Richards – vocals, flute
- Adam Hamilton – drums
- Norm Block – drums
- Johnny Haro – drums
- Ankeny, Jason. "Strung Out in Heaven – The Brian Jonestown Massacre | Songs, Reviews, Credits, Awards | AllMusic". AllMusic. Retrieved January 16, 2016.
- "Julian Cope Presents Head Heritage | Unsung | Reviews | Brian Jonestown Massacre – Strung Out in Heaven". Head Heritage. June 1, 2015. Retrieved August 15, 2016.
- Paul Gregory Attinello, Janet K. Halfyard, Vanessa Knights Music, Sound and Silence in Buffy the Vampire Slayer 2010 Page 171-172 "The infamous independent band Brian Jonestown Massacre, a band known for its references to the psychedelic rhythm ... sound opening of their song "Going to Hell" evokes emotional reminiscences of the liberated 1960s, specifically the Rickenbacker sound associated with the Byrds and the Beatles."
|This 1990s rock album-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|