|Mayor of Silverton, Oregon|
January 2009 – January 2015
|Preceded by||Ken Hector|
|Succeeded by||Rick Lewis|
|Born||1948 (age 70–71)|
Silverton, Oregon, U.S.
|Political party||Democratic (since 1996)|
|Independent (before 1996)|
He had previously been elected twice in the 1990s as mayor of this Willamette Valley community, before coming out as transgender. He was also three times a member of the city council. He was assigned male at birth, prefers he/him pronouns, has breast implants, and dresses as a woman. He sometimes goes by the name Carla Fong.
Rasmussen unsuccessfully ran for a seat in the Oregon House of Representatives in 1994 as an independent, and a seat in the Oregon State Senate in 1996 as a Democrat. He ran for the House again in 1998 as a Democrat, losing with 41% of the vote.
- Stu Rasmussen. "Reality Check". Retrieved December 19, 2011.
- "Oregon town elects nation's first transgender mayor". Associated Press. Nov 8, 2008. Retrieved December 19, 2011.
- Question, Big (November 9, 2008). "US election diary: The sex change we can all believe in - Americas, World - The Independent". London: Independent.co.uk. Retrieved 2008-12-09.
- Friar, Cathryn. "Stu Rasmussen is Transgendered Mayor » Right Pundits". Rightpundits.com. Retrieved 2008-12-09.
- Ng, David (November 29, 2012). "New musical about transgender mayor heading to Intiman Theatre". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved April 17, 2013.
- "Rasmussen, Stu". Our Campaigns. Retrieved September 18, 2017.
- Misha Berson, ‘Stu for Silverton’ sings about small-town tolerance, Seattle Times, 2013-07-23, modified 2013-07-24, accessed 2013-08-15.
- Misha Berson, Meet the real Stu from musical ‘Stu for Silverton’, Seattle Times, 2013-07-23, accessed 2013-08-15.
- "City of Silverton, OR > Government > City Council". Webservices.orcities.org. Archived from the original on July 24, 2012. Retrieved December 9, 2008.
- Drawhorn, Ornie (November 2011). "Keeping up in a digital age: Palace plans high tech upgrades". Our Town Live. Retrieved January 25, 2014.
- Stu Rasmussen for Mayor
- "Stu Rasmussen". The Oregon Encyclopedia.
- WNYC Radiolab segment on Stu Rasmussen
- Interview with Stu Rasmussen About Being a Transgender Politician
|This article about a mayor in Oregon is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|