Dougal refereed over 100 International appointments and visited 38 different countries as a referee. He refereed 2 Uefa Intertoto Cup Finals and was 4th Official at the 2002 Super Cup Final to Hugh Dallas between Feyenoord and Real Madrid and was at Euro 2004 in the same capacity.
On 16 May 2009, Dougal refereed his last game before retiring, a match between Aberdeen and Rangers. He sent off Aberdeen's Charlie Mulgrew for an headbutt on Kyle Lafferty and Rangers' central defender Madjid Bougherra on the word of his assistant referee. The case was also referred to the Scottish Football Association's disciplinary committee, who rescinded both red cards and gave Lafferty a two-match ban for simulation.
Since retiring as a referee, Dougal has written a column for the Daily Record.
- Dougal's profile at the website of the Scottish Football Association
- List of Scottish FIFA referees
- "Larsson caps Celtic triumph". BBC Sport. 22 May 2004. Retrieved 6 July 2008.
- "Dougal to ref Scottish Cup final". BBC Sport. 9 May 2008. Retrieved 17 May 2008.
- Article about the fine on BBC Sport
- "Rangers 2–1 Aberdeen". BBC Sport. 16 May 2009. Retrieved 24 March 2016.
- "Old Firm pair handed suspensions". BBC Sport. 7 August 2009. Retrieved 24 March 2016.
|This biographical article related to association football in Scotland is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|