12 August 1981 |
|Home town||Denton, Greater Manchester
|Darts||Stuart Kellett 24 gram Red Dragon|
|Walk-on music||A-Punk by Vampire Weekend|
|Organisation (see split in darts)|
|Current world ranking||39|
|BDO majors - best performances|
|World Ch'ship||Last 16: 2011|
|World Masters||Runner up: 2010|
|Zuiderduin Masters||Quarter-final: 2010|
|PDC premier events - best performances|
|World Ch'ship||Last 64: 2013, 2014, 2015|
|World Matchplay||Last 32: 2013|
|World Grand Prix||Last 32: 2013|
|Grand Slam||Group Stages: 2013|
|European Ch'ship||Last 32: 2013|
|UK Open||Last 32: 2013|
|Players Ch'ship Finals||Last 32: 2013|
|Other tournament wins|
|2014 Breaks into the world's top 32 for the first time|
Kellett reached the last 16 of the 2007 Winmau World Masters, having beaten Andy Fordham among others on the way to the televised stages. He lost 1-3 in sets to the then BDO world champion Martin Adams.
In 2010, Kellett won both the Scottish Open and the Antwerp Open. His good run of form helped him to qualify for the 2010 Winmau World Masters as the second seed. He knocked out Tony West in the last 16, before defeating Ted Hankey and Martin Phillips (both in sudden-death legs) to reach the final. He lost 3-7 to Adams, who won his third consecutive World Masters title.
Kellett also qualified for the 2011 BDO World Darts Championship, again as the second seed. He defeated two-time semi-finalist and pub team-mate Darryl Fitton 3-0 in the first round, losing just one leg along the way. Bookmakers slashed his odds of winning the championship from 16/1 to 9/2 after this performance, but he was unable to produce the same standard against Jan Dekker in the second round and lost 4-1. During this tournament commentators and pundits began affectionately referring to Kellett as the 'cocky craftsman' (in a nod to Eric Bristow), due to his confidence on-stage in comparison to his otherwise humble nature off it.
Kellett's form took a dip after his loss to Dekker, as he dropped out of the world's top 16 and failed to qualify for the 2011 Masters or the 2012 World Championship.
In January 2012, Kellett successfully earned a Professional Darts Corporation tour card on day two of the PDC's Pro Tour 'Q School' qualifying tournament. In June, he qualified for the European Tour Event 3 after defeating Nigel Heydon and William O'Connor in the UK qualifier. Kellett played Mervyn King in the first round in Düsseldorf and lost 3–6. He also reached the fourth European Tour Event and beat Colin Lloyd 6–4 in the first round in Stuttgart. Kellett faced Vincent van der Voort in the second round and lost 5–6. Kellett won the PDC World Championship qualifier in November, beating John Bowles 5–1 in the final, seeing off a total of seven players during the event to reach the World Championship for the first time. He lost to van der Voort in the first round, missing a total of 21 darts at a double, and was ranked world number 66 after the event.
Kellett reached his first PDC final in March at the first European Tour event of the year, the UK Masters. He overcame Peter Wright, Colin Lloyd, Dave Chisnall, Robert Thornton and Andy Hamilton en route to the final, where he lost 6–4 to three-time world champion John Part. The runner-up's cheque of £10,000 is the biggest of this career to date. Kellett saw off the likes of Hamilton and Ronnie Baxter to progress to the semi-finals of the second Players Championship. There he beat Phil Taylor 6–4, before losing 6–1 to Michael van Gerwen in the final. Kellett suffered a 9–3 defeat to Jelle Klaasen in the fourth round of the UK Open. Kellett qualified for the World Matchplay for the first time, but was thrashed 10–1 by Phil Taylor in the first round, averaging just 75.82 in the process. He also made his debut at the World Grand Prix and missed one dart for the first set in the opening round against Raymond van Barneveld and was beaten 2–0. Kellett won a qualifying place for the Grand Slam of Darts by beating Steve Brown 5–3 and was whitewashed 5–0 by Taylor in his opening Group A game. However, he then came back from 4–2 down against Kevin Painter to win 5–4, Kellett's first televised success since joining the PDC. He went into his final match knowing a win over Paul Nicholson would see him advance to the last 16, but he was beaten 5–2 to finish third in the group. Kellett earned over £30,000 in ProTour events during 2013 to finish 18th on the ProTour Order of Merit and qualify for the Players Championship Finals for the first time. He played in a last leg decider against Gary Anderson, having led 4–1, and missed a dart at tops to complete a 120 finish for the match to lose 6–5.
He took the first of sixteen spots available to non-qualified players through the 2013 ProTour Order of Merit for the 2014 World Championship and faced Paul Nicholson in the first round, losing 3–0. He entered the top 32 in the world rankings after the event. Kellett was beaten 9–4 by Terry Jenkins in the third round of the UK Open and failed to qualify for another PDC major during the rest of the year. His only quarter-final appearance came at the 12th Players Championship where he lost 6–1 to Michael van Gerwen.
Kellett suffered a 3–1 defeat in the first round of the 2015 World Championship to qualifier Sascha Stein with an average of just 73.08. He whitewashed Robbie Green 5–0 at the UK Open, before being eliminated 5–1 by Joe Murnan in the second round.
Kellett worked as a web designer before becoming a full-time darts player.
World Championship results
- 2011: Second round (lost to Jan Dekker 1–4)
- 2013: First round (lost to Vincent van der Voort 0–3)
- 2014: First round (lost to Paul Nicholson 0–3)
- 2015: First round (lost to Sascha Stein 1–3)
- Adams celebrates Masters treble BBC Sport
- "European Tour 3 UK Qualifier". PDC. Retrieved 24 June 2012.
- "European Darts Open Day One". PDC. Retrieved 6 July 2012.
- "German Darts Masters - Day One". PDC. Retrieved 7 September 2012.
- "German Darts Masters - Day Two". PDC. Retrieved 9 September 2012.
- "World Championship PDPA Qualifier". PDC. Retrieved 26 November 2012.
- "Ladbrokes WDC Day Seven". PDC. Retrieved 20 December 2012.
- "Order of Merit on 1 January 2013". PDC. Archived from the original on 9 February 2013. Retrieved 9 February 2013.
- "2013 PDC UK Masters Results". Darts Database. Retrieved 10 March 2013.
- "Super Part Is UK Masters Champion". PDC. Retrieved 10 March 2013.
- "Super Van Gerwen KO's Kellett!". PDC. Retrieved 5 May 2013.
- "Speedy Services UK Open - Fourth Round". PDC. Retrieved 9 June 2013.
- "BetVictor World Matchplay Day Two". PDC. 21 July 2013.
- "partypoker.com World Grand Prix Day Two". PDC. Retrieved 8 October 2013.
- "Grand Slam Wildcard Qualifiers Found". PDC. Retrieved 12 November 2013.
- "2013 Grand Slam Of Darts Fixtures". Darts Database. Retrieved 12 November 2013.
- "William Hill Grand Slam Day Two". PDC. Retrieved 10 November 2013.
- "ProTour Order of Merit". PDC. Archived from the original on 8 December 2013. Retrieved 8 December 2013.
- "Cash Converters PCF First Round". PDC. Retrieved 8 December 2013.
- "2014 PDC World Championship Qualifiers". Darts Database. Retrieved 8 December 2013.
- "Ladbrokes World Championship Day Two". PDC. 14 December 2013.
- "Order of Merit on 2 January 2014". PDC. Archived from the original on 2 January 2013. Retrieved 2 January 2014.
- "Coral UK Open - Friday Evening". PDC. Retrieved 7 March 2014.
- "Stuart Kellett 2014". Darts Database. Archived from the original on 7 December 2014. Retrieved 7 December 2014.
- "Whitlock Triumphs In Coventry". PDC. Retrieved 15 June 2014.
- "William Hill World Championship Day Two". PDC. Retrieved 19 December 2014.
- "Coral UK Open - Friday Afternoon". PDC. Retrieved 7 March 2015.