This article includes a list of references, but its sources remain unclear because it has insufficient inline citations. (August 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Stuart S. Nagel
|Died||November 18, 2001(aged 67)|
|Cause of death||Suicide|
|Alma mater||Northwestern University|
Stuart S. Nagel (August 29, 1934 – November 18, 2001) was an American academic. A Professor Emeritus of Political Science at the University of Illinois at Urbana–Champaign, he is notable for having coined the terms "super-optimizing" and "win-win analysis" and advancing the boundaries of policy studies.
Early life and education
This section is empty. You can help by adding to it. (August 2012)
Death and legacy
After Nagel's unexpected death, age 67, the Policy Studies Journal published, in 2003, a series of articles about Nagel's personal and academic life, entitled "Symposium in Honor of Stuart S. Nagel".
On September 13, 2007, University of Illinois Professor Robert Weissberg wrote in an essay, ""The Hidden Impact of Political Correctness", that Nagel committed suicide partially because of an anonymous accusation of racism and workplace violence that resulted in an internal investigation and two federal trials. Despite such claims in the Weissberg article, no such allegations ever appeared in any of the lawsuits filed by Nagel or appeared before any committee reviewing his case. Nagel died not long after being removed as an officer of the Policy Studies Organization, which he founded.
- List of Northwestern University alumni
- List of people from Chicago
- List of University of Illinois at Urbana–Champaign people
- Database (undated). "Policy Studies Journal". Wiley Online Library. Retrieved August 25, 2012.
- [dead link] "Symposium in Honor of Stuart S. Nagel". Blackwell Synergy.
- Weissberg, Robert (September 13, 2007). "The Hidden Impact of Political Correctness". Minding the Campus. Retrieved November 9, 2015.
- Crotty, William (2003). "Memorial to Stuart S. Nagel". Policy Studies Journal. 31 (3), 465-467. doi:10.1111/1541-0072.00035.
- Rich, Paul J. (2005). "Policy Studies and Stuart Nagel". Policy Studies Organization.
- Staff (Spring 2002). "In Memoriam". Northwestern (quarterly alumni magazine of Northwestern University). Retrieved August 25, 2012.