Stuart Turner (baseball)
|Cincinnati Reds – No. 32|
December 27, 1991 |
|April 6, 2017, for the Cincinnati Reds|
(through August 9, 2017)
|Runs batted in||5|
Randy Stuart Turner (born December 27, 1991) is an American professional baseball catcher for the Cincinnati Reds of Major League Baseball (MLB). Prior to playing professionally, he played college baseball for the Ole Miss Rebels and won the Johnny Bench Award.
Turner is from Eunice, Louisiana. After he graduated from Eunice High School, he enrolled at Louisiana State University at Eunice. He transferred to the University of Mississippi (Ole Miss), where he played college baseball for the Ole Miss Rebels baseball team. In 2013, he won a Gold Glove Award from the American Baseball Coaches Association and the Johnny Bench Award, given annually to best catcher in the National Collegiate Athletic Association's Division I.
The Minnesota Twins selected Turner in the third round of the 2013 Major League Baseball Draft. He signed with the Twins, and played for the Elizabethton Twins of the Rookie-level Appalachian League. The Twins invited him to spring training in 2014, and assigned him to the Fort Myers Miracle of the Class A-Advanced Florida State League. In 2015, he played for the Chattanooga Lookouts of the Class AA Southern League, where he posted a .223 batting average with four home runs and 37 RBIs. Turner returned to the Lookouts in 2016, where he batted .239 with six home runs and 41 RBIs.
During the 2016 Winter Meetings, the Cincinnati Reds selected Turner from the Twins in the Rule 5 draft. Turner made the Reds' Opening Day roster in 2017 and made his major league debut on April 6. On August 11, 2017, he hit his first Major League home run off of San Diego Padres pitcher Travis Wood.
- "Turner set to play for LSUE team". Pqasb.pqarchiver.com. August 25, 2009. Retrieved January 10, 2014.
- Mississippi. "Baseball: Ole Miss catcher Stuart Turner named ABCA Gold Glove winner | gulflive.com". Blog.gulflive.com. Retrieved July 1, 2013.
- "Ole Miss catcher Stuart Turner wins 2013 Johnny Bench Award - KWCH". Articles.kwch.com. June 27, 2013. Retrieved July 1, 2013.
- "2013 MLB draft: Ole Miss catcher Stuart Turner goes to Twins in third round | gulflive.com". Blog.gulflive.com. Retrieved July 1, 2013.
- Fox Sports. "Minnesota Twins' catching prospect Stuart Turner not letting diabetes divert career". FOX Sports. Retrieved June 30, 2015.
- Berardino, Mike. "Twins' spring invitees: Byron Buxton, Miguel Sano, Alex Meyer". TwinCities.com. Retrieved January 10, 2014.
- "2015 Lookouts Play Home Opener Wednesday Night At AT&T Field". chattanoogan.com. Retrieved June 30, 2015.
- Sheldon, Mark (February 20, 2017). "Turner looks to make most of opportunity: Catcher attempting to make jump from Double-A to the Majors". MLB.com. Retrieved February 20, 2017.
- "Votto extends hitting streak to 14, Reds beat Padres 8-3". espn.com. Retrieved August 12, 2017.
- "Twins catching prospect Stuart Turner got work ethic at family business". TwinCities.com. Retrieved June 30, 2015.