|Headquarters||Waltham, Massachusetts, MA, USA|
|Key people||Atle Skalleberg
StudentUniverse is the world’s leading travel booking site for students and youth. Through negotiations with a network of global partners, StudentUniverse offers discounted pricing and terms on flights, hotels and tours. Its Travel Services division handles client requests for groups and custom itineraries. Its service went live in 2000, and the company is based in Waltham, Massachusetts. It has proprietary verification technology that allows it to verify student status.
StudentUniverse.com offers flights, hotel and hostel bookings, travel insurance, and tours. According to the terms and conditions, users have to be students at a degree-granting college to redeem offers. The primary focus of the website is B2C (Business to Consumer), however it also offers group travel services for groups of 10 or more people. Users can search for deals without logging in, however must create an account prior to purchasing. The business and website is rated A+ by the Better Business Bureau and 9.27/10 stars (based on 9,101 reviews) on ResellerRatings.
StudentUniverse focuses primarily on the student travel vertical, though some deals are available for anyone 18-25. It sells exclusive airfare deals for verified members from its airline partners. Such airfares are not guaranteed to be cheaper than the retail airfares (what is generally available in the market). The company does not charge for membership. It makes money from commission, advertising sales and booking fees on some transactions.
By verifying their members' enrollment at an accredited, degree-granting college, the company is able to offer students discounted products and services. The company's value proposition is to offer student discounts, and flexibility, with an average discount over published rates, based on a sample survey, of 14%.
The company offers 24/7 customer service in English.
1992: Founded by Espen Ødegård as a student travel agency called Prism Travel with offices in New York City.
1999: StudentUniverse.com is founded by Espen Odegard and Fredrik Carl Stormer and raises its first round of funding from private investors.
2000: First online booking engine launched.
2001: American Airlines becomes an airline partner and offer student airfares
2004: StudentUniverse introduces its new marketing tag-line; "Students Fly Cheaper". Marketing campaigns were targeted at U.S. college students.
2008: StudentUniverse introduces its new marketing tag-line; "Travel more.Spend less" and launches a redesigned website.
2010: The firm announced a discount airfare service open to any traveler ages 18–25.
2011: StudentUniverse launches SUMM - a marketing agency that specializes in marketing to students.
2011: The company launches a new website and a new tag-line; "Smart deals for students". The corporate blog also goes live in September.
2011: The company announces Paul Tedeschi as its new General Manager of SUMM 
2011: The website reflects that it will expand its offering to categories beyond travel - student deals.
2012: Announces Atle Skalleberg as its new CEO on March 1, 2012 
2012: StudentUniverse Media re-launches as SUMM Agency - a full service media and marketing agency that specializes in college marketing.
2012: April: A new "Student Deals" section is revealed. Student Deals
2012: April: "Student Deals" is officially launched. Press Release 4/9/12
2012: August: Textbook service is launched. Allows students to compare textbook prices. Textbook Service
2012: December: The company announces travel tours, StudentUniverse Tours
2013: October: Company announces its revamped iOS application StudentUniverse Mobile App
2013: October: Company announces its UK business and website StudentUniverse UK
2013: November: StudentUniverse acquires the travel startup WeHostels
2015 February: StudentUniverse launches group travel services in the UK
2015: April: StudentUniverse launches responsive website and new branding
2015: May: StudentUniverse launches Work Abroad Experiences 
StudentUniverse has over 70 airline partners.
Key members of the StudentUniverse team  include:
- Espen Odegard - Founder
- Sam Lanfranco - Founding Partner,
- Atle Skalleberg - Chief Executive Officer
- Cindy Cox - Chief Financial Officer
- Mike Cleary - Chief Commercial Officer
- Chad Mooney - Chief Operating Officer
StudentUniverse focuses primarily on the college student market in the United States. There are 4,495 colleges, universities, and junior colleges in the country and 17.5 million college students.
Gen Y (born 1977-1994) is now estimated to be the largest consumer group in US history. At 70 to 80 million, the generation accounts for 25% of the US population. Their annual spending power already exceeds $200B and that is expected to eclipse Boomers by 2017.
- "StudentUniverse". www.studentuniverse.com. Retrieved 2015-12-14.
- Lipman, Lisa (December 15, 2000). "Students can fly for less online - maybe". San Antonio Express-News. Retrieved 2009-02-21.
- McCartney, Scott (October 14, 2008). "Flying to College on the Cheap". The Wall Street Journal.
- "StudentUniverse Consumer Verified Ratings & Reviews". ResellerRatings. Retrieved 2015-12-14.
- "Site helps college students travel on limited budget, members can save $100 by booking overseas trips at Student Universe". San Jose Mercury News (CA). November 24, 2002. Retrieved 2009-02-21.
- Gilden, James (April 3, 2005). "Students: Do your homework to get European summer deals". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 2009-02-21.
- "StudentUniverse.com Celebrates 10th Anniversary and Airfare Discounts for Expanded Age Group". PR Newswire. January 25, 2010.
- SUMM - College Marketing
- Mike Cleary as Chief Commercial Officer
- "StudentUniverse Launches Group Travel Services in the UK | Business Wire". www.businesswire.com. Retrieved 2015-12-14.
- "StudentUniverse Rolls Out a Mobile-First Multi-Million Dollar Makeover | Business Wire". www.businesswire.com. Retrieved 2015-12-14.
- "StudentUniverse Introduces Work Abroad Experiences | Business Wire". www.businesswire.com. Retrieved 2015-12-14.
- ITA/StudentUniverse Case Study
- The StudentUniverse Team
- http://fora.tv/2011/01/14/Robert_Mertz_Affluent_Generation_Y#fullprogram McKinsey Report - Affluent Gen Y