Students Islamic Organisation of India
|Motto||Study Struggle Service|
|Formation||October 19, 1982|
|Headquarters||D-300 Abul Fazal Enclave, Jamia Nagar, Okhla, New Delhi, India|
|Labeed Shafi (2019-2020)|
Students Islamic Organisation of India (SIO) (Hindi: स्टूडेंट्स इस्लामिक ऑर्गनाइजेशन ऑफ इंडिया) (Urdu: اسٹوڈنٹس اسلامک آرگنائزیشن آف انڈیا)) is the students' wing of Jamaat-e-Islami Hind. Students Islamic Organisation was formed in 1982. According to its constitution, it aims at presenting Da’wah before students and youth, promote virtues, and moral values in educational institutions.
The organisation has been termed as a moderate Muslim students union, and is said to take part in social service and relief activities. It is reported to organise activities for the Muslim youths in order to engage them in peaceful religious activities, and to avoid communal activity and sentiment. Students Islamic Organisation of India (SIO) is mentioned as one of the best practices of youth inter-faith dialogue initiatives in a global survey report of UNESCO (United Nations Education, Scientific and Cultural Organisation).
Students Islamic Organisation of India (SIO) is an ideological organisation working in the country since its inception on 19 October 1982 for the social progress and development of the students’ fraternity. With its Headquarter based in Delhi, SIO has spread to most of the states. Students of many religion, caste, creed and place are now part of the organisation and working proactively for its cause.
SIO works to spread education and awareness among students. The organisation promotes better academic and moral atmosphere in educational institutions.
List of Presidents & General Secretary
|1||1983-85||Mohammad Jafar (Maharashtra)||Tajmeel Hussain (Maharashtra)|
|2||1985-87||Ashfaq Ahmad (Maharashtra)||Javed Ali (Uttar Pradesh)|
|3||1987-89||P.C. Hamza (Kerela)||Javed Ali (Uttar Pradesh)|
|4||1989-91||Toufeeq Aslam Khan (Maharashtra)||I. Kareemullah (Tamilnadu)|
|5||1991-93||Abdul Jabbar Siddiqui (Karnataka)||Sardar Sultan Islahi (Uttar Pradesh)|
|6||1993-95||S. Ameenul Hasan (Karnataka)||Abdul Ahad (Bihar)|
|7||1995-97||Malik Motasim Khan (Andhra Pradesh)||Fahimuddin Ahmad (Andhra Pradesh)|
|8||1997-98||Malik Motasim Khan (Andhra Pradesh)||Waliullah Saeedi Falahi (Uttar Pradesh)|
|9||1999-2K||Sadat Husaini (Maharashtra)||Abdullah Javed (Karnataka)|
|10||2001-02||Sadat Husaini (Maharashtrai)||Sayyed Zameer Qadri (Maharashtra)|
|11||2003-04||Malik Faisal Falahi (Uttar Pradesh)||Maroof Ahmad (Karnataka)|
|12||2005-06||Syed Zameer Qadri (Maharashtra)||Shuja'atullah Hussaini (Maharashtra)|
|13||2007-08||Bishruddin Sharqi (Kerela)||Hasmatullah Khan (Karnataka)|
|14||2009-10||Suhail K.K. (Kerela)||Mohammad Abdul Rafeeq (West Bengal)|
|15||2011-12||Mohammad Azharuddin (Maharashtra)||Salah P.M. (Kerela)|
|16||2013-14||Ashfaq Ahmad Sharif (Karnataka)||Sarur Hussain (West Bengal)|
|17||2015-16||Iqbal Hussain (Telangana)||Alif Shakoor|
|18||2017-18||Nahas Mala (Kerela)||Khaleeq Ahmad (Telangana)|
|19||2019-20||Labeed Shafi (Karnataka)||Syed Azharuddin (Telangana)|
SIO has been vocal in voicing its opposition over establishments curbing Muslim women from wearing hijab, and has carried out protests against those schools and organisations that do not allow its Muslim students to wear hijab.
A march taken out in protest against the "mysterious reforms" being carried out by the administration by the Students Islamic Organisation (SIO) to the University of Calicut turned violent on June 13. In the past also, violence ensued after students picketed at the gates of Nirmala Higher Secondary School. The SIO activists were protesting against the school authorities’ action of not allowing Muslim students in the school to wear hijab.
8 February 2017; A protest was held about Najeeb's matter with the slogan "WHERE IS NAJEEB" in Badaun, Western Uttar Pradesh. It was a huge protest organised by SIO Zonal Secretary U.P. West (Sarim Qamar Zaman) Many protests were organised in Delhi too with Najeeb's Mother and JNU's students, and was widely publicised on social media, including hashtags on twitter Facebook.
Think. Act. Save. was a 3-day exhibition, organized by the Hyderabad chapter of the Students Islamic Organisation of India at Exhibition Grounds in Nampally with an aim to create awareness on environment.
- Angel M Rabasa; Cheryl Benard; Peter Chalk; C Christine Fair; Theodore Karasik; Rollie Lal; Ian Lasser; Ian O Lesser; David E Thaler; Rand Corporation (January 2005). The Muslim World After 9/11. ISBN 0-8330-3712-9.[page needed]
- Students Islamic Organisation of India:Constitution Archived 2008-05-14 at the Wayback Machine.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2015-06-10. Retrieved 2015-06-10.CS1 maint: Archived copy as title (link).
- "About SIO - Students Islamic Organisation of India : SIO India". Archived from the original on 2015-09-08. Retrieved 2015-10-18.
- "AIPMT dress code: Not allowing hijab, veil violation of rights, say Kerala Cong, IUML". 27 July 2015. Archived from the original on 2015-10-01. Retrieved 2015-10-01.
- "An Aligarh University Student On The Veil Ban That's 'Denying' Muslim Women A Chance". 6 August 2015. Archived from the original on 2015-10-03. Retrieved 2015-10-01.
- Ahmad, Asad (2017-02-19). "SARIM QAMAR ZAMAN". ZONAL SECRETARY SIO UP WEST.
- Ahmad, Asad (2017-02-07). "Insaaf March". sio.
- TwoCircles.net. "SIO brings awareness about environment at Save Earth Expo - TwoCircles.net". twocircles.net. Archived from the original on 2018-06-30. Retrieved 2018-08-31.
- Reporter, Staff (9 December 2012). "SIO exhibition to create awareness on environment". Archived from the original on 2012-12-10. Retrieved 2018-08-31 – via www.thehindu.com.