Students Islamic Organisation of India
|Formation||October 19, 1982|
|Headquarters||D-300 Abul Fazal Enclave, Jamia Nagar, Okhla, New Delhi, India|
|Khaleeq Ahmed Khan|
|Nahas Mala (2017-18)|
|Labid Shafi Aliya (National secretary), Jaseem PP (National Secretary), Sayyed Azharuddin (National Secretary), Abdul Wadood (National Secretary), Thouseef Madikeri (National Secretary)|
Students Islamic Organisation of India (SIO) is the students' wing of Jamaat-e-Islami Hind. Students Islamic Organisation was formed in 1982. According to its constitution, it aims at presenting Da’wah before students and youth, promote virtues, and moral values in educational institutions.
- 1 Students Islamic Organisation of India (SIO) is mentioned as one of the best practices of youth inter-faith dialogue initiatives in a global survey report of UNESCO (United Nations Education, Scientific and Cultural Organisation).
- 2 About SIO
- 3 SIO Aims
- 4 Leaders
- 5 Hijab Issue
- 6 Protest
- 7 Najeeb's matter
- 8 Gallery
- 9 See also
- 10 References
- 11 External links
Students Islamic Organisation of India (SIO) is mentioned as one of the best practices of youth inter-faith dialogue initiatives in a global survey report of UNESCO (United Nations Education, Scientific and Cultural Organisation).
The organisation has been termed as a moderate Muslim students union, and is said to take part in social service and relief activities. It is reported to organise activities for the Muslim youths in order to engage them in peaceful religious activities, and to avoid communal activity and sentiment.
Students Islamic Organisation of India (SIO) is an ideological organisation working in the country since its inception on 19 October 1982 for the social progress and development of the students’ fraternity. It is SIO’s endeavor to prepare Students and Youth for the reconstruction of the society in the light of Divine guidance. In order to understand SIO, it is essential to have a good grasp on its views on Islam, student and organisation. The Arabic word Islam signifies peace, dedication and absolute submission. In other words, it is the path to peace through complete surrender to God. SIO believes that the real function of education should be to impart genuine knowledge about life, existence and future. A real student is therefore one seeking for the realities about life and universe. SIO believes that the function of the organisation should not be to assemble as many people as possible by any means. But it is to transform the cadre into a crop of activists committed to ideals and gifted with inner strength. With its Headquarter based in Delhi, SIO has spread to all the states stretching from Punjab to Kerala and Gujarat to Manipur. Heart-beat of millions of students across India, SIO’s message of “spreading the virtues and eradicating evils” is now motto of life for them. All students irrespective of their religion, caste, creed and place are now part of the organisation and working proactively for its cause. SIO is reaching now every nook and corner of the Indian Campus with its services to the student community.
SIO finds itself committed to impart genuine knowledge and awareness to students and getting them ready to become torch bearers of morality and ethics to fight against evils by reinforcing their own life. The organisation also strives for promoting values in educational system and better academic and moral atmosphere in educational institutions. SIO focuses its efforts to nurture the talents of students in such a way as to benefit the society. Above all, preference is given to spread the truths as understood by the organisation among the most critical group of civil society – STUDENTS.
- Current President Nahas Mala from Kerala was elected as the national president of SIO for the term 2017-18. Nahas mala hails from Mala in Thrissur district of Kerala.He is currently residing with family at Shanthapuram in Malappuram. Nahas is currently pursuing his PhD in Quranic Studies, from Calicut University. He did his Post Graduation in Arabic from Al-Jamia Al-Islamiya Shanthapuram.
- Former President: Iqbal Hussain from Telangana. 2015-16
- Former President: Ashfaq Ahmed Sharief from Mangalore (Journalism Graduate from Bangalore University) 2013-2014
- Former President: Mohammed Azharuddin (M.Phil in Economics) 2011-2012
SIO has been vocal in voicing its opposition over establishments curbing Muslim women from wearing hijab, and has carried out protests against those schools and organisations that do not allow its Muslim students to wear hijab.
A march taken out in protest against the "mysterious reforms" being carried out by the administration by the Students Islamic Organisation (SIO) to the University of Calicut turned violent on June 13. In the past also, violence ensued after students picketed at the gates of Nirmala Higher Secondary School. The SIO activists were protesting against the school authorities’ action of not allowing Muslim students in the school to wear hijab.
8 February 2017; A protest was held about Najeeb's matter with the slogan "WHERE IS NAJEEB" in Badaun, Western Uttar Pradesh. It was a huge protest organised by SIO Zonal Secretary U.P. West (Sarim Qamar Zaman) Many protests were organised in Delhi too with Najeeb's Mother and JNU's students, and was widely publicised on social media, including hashtags on twitter Facebook.
- Angel M Rabasa; Cheryl Benard; Peter Chalk; C Christine Fair; Theodore Karasik; Rollie Lal; Ian Lasser; Ian O Lesser; David E Thaler; Rand Corporation (January 2005). The Muslim World After 9/11. ISBN 0-8330-3712-9.[page needed]
- Students Islamic Organisation of India:Constitution Archived 2008-05-14 at the Wayback Machine..
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2015-06-10. Retrieved 2015-06-10..
- Ahmad, Asad (2017-02-19). "SARIM QAMAR ZAMAN". ZONAL SECRETARY SIO UP WEST.
- Ahmad, Asad (2017-02-07). "Insaaf March". sio.