Studio Gang Architects
|Studio Gang Architects|
The Aqua Tower in Chicago
|Key architects||Jeanne Gang|
|Significant works and honors|
|Projects||Writers Theatre, University of Chicago Campus North Residential Commons, City Hyde Park, Eleanor Boathouse at Park 571, Northerly Island, Arcus Center for Social Justice Leadership at Kalamazoo College, WMS Boathouse at Clark Park, Aqua Tower, Nature Boardwalk at Lincoln Park Zoo, SOS Children's Villages Lavezzorio Community Center, Columbia College Chicago Media Production Center, Bengt Sjostrom Starlight Theatre at Rock Valley College|
Studio Gang is an American architecture and urban design practice with offices in Chicago, New York, and San Francisco. Founded and led by architect Jeanne Gang, the Studio is known for its material research and experimentation, collaboration across a wide range of disciplines, and focus on sustainability. The firm’s works range in scale and typology from the 82-story mixed-use Aqua Tower to the 10,000-square-foot Arcus Center for Social Justice Leadership at Kalamazoo College to the 14-acre Nature Boardwalk at Lincoln Park Zoo. Studio Gang has won numerous awards for design excellence, including the 2016 Architizer A+ Firm of the Year Award and the 2013 National Design Award for Architecture from the Cooper Hewitt, Smithsonian Design Museum, as well as various awards from the American Institute of Architects (AIA) and AIA Chicago.
Founded by Jeanne Gang in 1997, Studio Gang is recognized for a design process that foregrounds the relationships between people, communities, and environments. The Studio works as a collective of architects, designers, and planners, collaborating closely with experts in a range of fields. The Studio uses design as a medium to connect people socially, experientially, and intellectually.
One of the Studio's first built works, the Bengt Sjostrom Starlight Theatre, was completed in 2003, and won praise from critics; the Chinese American Service League Kam Liu Center, finished the following year, garnered the firm additional accolades. Aqua Tower and the Nature Boardwalk at Lincoln Park Zoo, both completed in 2010, significantly increased the Studio global profile, winning acclaim from architecture critics.
The firm’s projects explore new typologies, materials, and techniques. For its Writers Theatre project, for example, completed in 2016, the Studio hung wood in axial tension to create a unique space for theatre-goers as well as an iconic identity for this regional civic and cultural anchor.
Completed in 2014, the Arcus Center for Social Justice Leadership is a purpose-built structure for social justice education and utilizes cordwood masonry for its exterior walls. This heritage technique is a low-tech and relatively inexpensive method of building assembly used to achieve a high-performance facade. The wood walls sequester more carbon than was released in building them, responding to today’s need to reduce carbon pollution—one of many environmental issues embraced by social justice movements.
The WMS Boathouse at Clark Park, and Eleanor Boathouse at Park 571, feature a sculptural roof that translates the motion of rowing and are two of four boathouses intended to revitalize the Chicago River. The projects stemmed from the Studio's advocacy publication Reverse Effect, published in 2011, which imagines a greener future for Chicago's waterways.
The Studio's Northerly Island project, which transforms a former airfield into a public lakefront park and habitat, opened to the public in 2015.
The Studio employs more than 90 people as of May 2017.
|40 Tenth Avenue||New York, NY||Under construction||2019|||
|Vista Tower||Chicago, IL||Under construction||2019|||
|Solstice on the Park||Chicago, IL||Under construction||2018|||
|Folsom Bay Tower||San Francisco, CA||In design||2017|||
|One Hundred||St. Louis, MO||In design||2017|||
|City Hyde Park||Chicago, IL||Completed||2016|||
|Recombinant House (Garden in the Machine)||Cicero, IL||Design concept completed||2012|||
|Aqua Tower||Chicago, IL||Completed||2010|||
|Vancouver Pair||Vancouver, BC||Design concept completed||2010|||
|Hyderabad O2||Hyderabad||Design concept completed||2008|||
|HafenCity Crane Tower||Hamburg||Design concept completed||2006|||
|Zhong Bang Village||Shanghai||Competition design completed||2003|||
|Beloit College Powerhouse||Beloit, WI||In design||2017|||
|University of Chicago Campus North Residential Commons||Chicago, IL||Completed||2016|||
|Arcus Center for Social Justice Leadership at Kalamazoo College||Kalamazoo, MI||Completed||2014|||
|Columbia College Chicago Media Production Center||Chicago, IL||Completed||2010|||
Nature, Culture, and Community
|Rescue Company 2 (New York City Fire Department)||New York, NY||Under construction||2018|||
|Northerly Island||Chicago, IL||Ongoing||2017|||
|Richard Gilder Center for Science, Education, and Innovation at the American Museum of Natural History||New York, NY||In design||2017|||
|Civic Commons||United States||Completed||2016|||
|Eleanor Boathouse at Park 571||Chicago, IL||Completed||2016|||
|National Aquarium Strategic Master Plan||Baltimore, MD||Design concept completed||2016|||
|Writers Theatre||Glencoe, IL||Completed||2016|||
|PAHC Studio||Chicago, IL||Completed||2014|||
|WMS Boathouse at Clark Park||Chicago, IL||Completed||2013|||
|The Conservation Center||Chicago, IL||Completed||2012|||
|Kaohsiung Maritime Cultural and Pop Music Center||Kaohsiung||Competition design completed||2011|||
|Blue Wall Center||Greenville, SC||Design concept completed||2010|||
|Nature Boardwalk at Lincoln Park Zoo||Chicago, IL||Completed||2010|||
|Taipei Pop Music Center||Taipei||Competition design completed||2010|||
|Ford Calumet Environmental Center||Calumet City, IL||Design concept completed||2008|||
|SOS Children's Villages Lavezzorio Community Center||Chicago, IL||Completed||2008|||
|HafenCity Chicago Square||Hamburg||Design concept completed||2006|
|Chinese American Service League Kam Liu Center||Chicago, IL||Completed||2004|||
|Bengt Sjostrom Starlight Theatre at Rock Valley College||Rockford, IL||Completed||2003|||
|Working in America||Chicago, IL||Completed||2016|||
|Thinning Ice at Design Miami||Miami, FL||Completed||2014|||
|Changes of Phase for Thodos Dance Chicago||Chicago, IL||Completed||2014|||
|EXPO Chicago||Chicago, IL||Completed||2012 –2014|||
|Building: Inside Studio Gang Architects at the Art Institute of Chicago||Chicago, IL||Completed||2012 –2013|||
|Foreclosed: Rehousing the American Dream at the Museum of Modern Art||New York, NY||Completed||2012|||
|Baseball in the City at the Art Institute of Chicago||Chicago, IL||Completed||2004|||
|Marble Curtain at the National Building Museum||Washington, DC||Completed||2003|||
- Institute Honor Award, Interior Architecture, AIA Awards, 2017 / Writers Theatre
- Daniel Burnham Award for Master Planning, AIA Illinois, 2016 / Technical team for Positioning Pullman
- Divine Detail Award, Design Excellence Awards, AIA Chicago, 2016 / Writers Theatre
- Interior Architecture Award, Design Excellence Awards, AIA Chicago, 2016 / Writers Theatre
- Distinguished Building Citation of Merit, Design Excellence Awards, AIA Chicago, 2016 / Writers Theatre
- Divine Detail Award, Design Excellence Awards, AIA Chicago, 2016 / City Hyde Park
- Distinguished Building Citation of Merit, Design Excellence Awards, AIA Chicago, 2016 / City Hyde Park
- Institute Honor Award, Architecture, AIA Awards, 2016 / WMS Boathouse at Clark Park
- Architizer A+ Firm of the Year, 2016
- Award for Excellence in Design, Thirty-third Annual Design Awards, Public Design Commission, New York, 2015 / Rescue Company 2
- Distinguished Building Award, Design Excellence Awards, AIA Chicago, 2015 / Arcus Center for Social Justice Leadership
- Divine Detail Award, Design Excellence Awards, AIA Chicago, 2015 / Arcus Center for Social Justice Leadership
- Honor Award, AIA Illinois, 2015 / Northerly Island
- Distinguished Building Citation of Merit, Design Excellence Awards, AIA Chicago, 2014 / WMS Boathouse at Clark Park
- National Design Award, Cooper Hewitt, Smithsonian Design Museum
- Holcim Awards for Sustainable Construction Acknowledgement Prize North America, 2011, for the Ford Calumet Environmental Center
- Distinguished Building Honor Award, AIA Chicago, 2011, for the Nature Boardwalk, Education Pavilion and South Pond Transformation at Lincoln Park Zoo
- Most Compassionate Architectural Firm, People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA), 2009
- Skyscraper of the Year Award, Emporis, 2009, for the Aqua Tower
- Emerging Visions Award, AIA Chicago, 2000 & 2006
- Neighborhood Development Award, 3rd place, Richard H. Driehaus Foundation, 2005, for the Chinese American Service League
- http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2014/05/19/140519fa_fact_waldman "The Urban Wild," The New Yorker, May 19, 2014
- "Studio Gang – About". studiogang.com. Retrieved 2017-06-05.
- "Rockford, Racine projects show promise for Chicago designers," Chicago Tribune, June 15, 2003
- 2004 Citation of Merit, Distinguished Building, AIA Chicago
- 2005 Award for Architectural Excellence, 3rd Place, Richard H. Driehaus Foundation
- http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2010/02/01/wave-effect "Wave Effect," The New Yorker, February 1, 2010
- http://featuresblogs.chicagotribune.com/theskyline/2010/12/from-the-tallest-tower-to-a-local-park-the-best-architecture-of-2010-.html "From the tallest tower to a vibrant urban park, the best architecture of 2010," Chicago Tribune
- "Studio Gang – Blueprint Magazine — "All the Wood's A Stage"". studiogang.com. Retrieved 2017-06-05.
- "Studio Gang – Wood vs. Brick Masonry". studiogang.com. Retrieved 2017-06-05.
- "Reverse Effect: Renewing Chicago". studiogang.com. Retrieved 2017-06-05.
- "One Hundred". studiogang.com. Retrieved 2017-05-30.
- "Rescue Company 2". studiogang.com. Retrieved 2017-05-30.
- "American Museum of Natural History Gilder Center". studiogang.com. Retrieved 2017-05-30.
- "Civic Commons". studiogang.com. Retrieved 2017-05-30.
- "Eleanor Boathouse at Park 751". studiogang.com. Retrieved 2017-05-30.
- "Working in America". studiogang.com. Retrieved 2017-05-30.
- Regional Holcim Awards 2011 North America. Retrieved 2013-01-27
- Distinguished Building Honor Award, AIA Chicago. Retrieved 2013-01-27
- Cityscapes: A skyscraper for the birds, Chicago Tribune, September 17, 2009. Retrieved 2013-01-27
- Emporis Skyscraper Award 2009. Retrieved 2013-01-27
- ArchitectureChicago PLUS. April 5, 2007. Retrieved 2013-01-27
- Chicago Neighborhood Development Awards, past winners webpage. Retrieved 2013-01-27
- Official website
- Google (2015-01-08). "Studio Gang Project Locations" (Map). Google Maps. Google. Retrieved 2015-01-08.
- "Jeanne Gang: The Art of Nesting," Metropolis Magazine
- Architecture-Page Profile
- Lincoln Park Zoo South Pond Restoration and Pavilion, Architectural Record, May 2011.