Los Angeles, California,
StudyMode’s network of properties includes StudyMode.com, where students can download model essays and term papers, book notes and AP notes; Cram.com, where students can share and review flashcards; and Cite.com, a citation generator and bibliography builder. The company also owns several international properties including BuenasTareas.com, a Spanish-language version of StudyMode.com, Etudier.com, the French version, and TrabalhosFeitos.com, the Portuguese version of StudyMode.com.
StudyMode was founded by Blaine Vess and Chris Nelson in 1999 and was originally run out of a dorm room at North Central College. By 2007, revenues and profits exceeded US$1 million. Todd Clemens joined the company in 2008. The company subsequently grew through acquisitions and international site launches. Its portfolio now includes more than a dozen websites in several languages and reaches about 2.5 million visitors per day. Annual revenues exceed $10 million.
For more than a decade, the co-founders ran the company out of Vess’ home with about thirty remote contractors. In 2011, the company moved into a physical office in West Hollywood. It now has approximately twenty full-time employees.
- Dave, Paresh (19 July 2013). "Blaine Vess harnesses the Internet to help students succeed". Business. Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 9 October 2013.
- Bamberger, Peter A.; Biron, Michal; Meshoulam, Ilan (2014). "Suggestions for Further Information". Human Resource Strategy: Formulation, Implementation, and Impact (2nd ed.). Routledge. p. 304. ISBN 9781135122263. OCLC 891629906 – via Google Books (preview).
- Jarvey, Natalie (19 September 2013). "West Hollywood Company to Help Students Cram". Los Angeles Business Journal. Retrieved 9 October 2013.
- Watson, Dan (2 October 2013). "Digital Entrepreneur Blaine Vess Brings His 'Home Work' to WeHo". WEHOVille. West Hollywood, California: WHMC LLC. Retrieved 9 October 2013.
- Vess, Blaine (27 August 2013). "Should I Find a Co-founder or Start a Business Alone?". YFS Magazine (Digital magazine). YFS Media. Retrieved 9 October 2013.
- "StudyMode acquired by Student Brands". crunchbase. Retrieved 16 February 2018.
- "Barnes & Noble Education Acquires Student Brands" (Press release). Barnes & Noble Education. 4 August 2017. Retrieved 16 February 2018 – via BusinessWire.