|This article needs additional citations for verification. (February 2010) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
- Guerneville, California is the site of an ancient coast redwood forest, much of which was logged for the rebuilding of San Francisco after the 1906 earthquake and fire. Prior to being renamed for one of the local milling families, Guerneville was called Stumptown for the giant redwood stumps left by the loggers. Each year Guerneville holds its "Stumptown Daze Parade" and a number of local businesses adopted the original name including Stumptown Brewery, Stumptown Nursery and Stumptown Cycles.
- Whitefish, Montana was called Stumptown as the area was cleared for the train station.
- Matthews, North Carolina was originally named Stumptown in the early 19th century after cotton farmers cleared the land, leaving tree stumps everywhere.
- Stumptown is one of several nicknames of Portland, Oregon. In the mid-19th century, the city's growth led residents to clear a lot of land quickly, but the tree stumps were not immediately removed; in some areas, there were so many that people used to jump from stump to stump to avoid the muddy, unpaved roads. The nickname is used in the names of several local businesses, including Stumptown Coffee Roasters, an independent coffee roaster and retailer located in Portland; Stumptown Sewing, a custom sewing and upholstery shop; StumpTown Kilts, a maker of men's and women's modern kilts; Stumptown (comics), a creator-owned detective fiction comic book series by Greg Rucka, set in Portland; the Stumptown Comics Fest, an annual Comic Festival held in Portland; Stumptown Syndicate, a Portland-based 501(c)(3) organization working to create resilient, radically inclusive tech and maker communities that empower positive change; and Stumptown Dance, a Portland based weekly Swing Dance.
- Stumptown, Indiana is an unincorporated community in Parke County, IN
- Stumptown, Loudoun County, Virginia is an unincorporated community in Loudoun County, VA
- Stumptown, Northampton County, Virginia is an unincorporated community in Northampton County, VA
- Stumptown, West Virginia is an unincorporated community in Gilmer County, WV
Stumptown was a bicycle model made by mountain bike brand Mountain Cycle, over which it was threatened with a lawsuit by Specialized., due to their perceived similarity with their Stumpjumper line of mountain bikes. A huge backlash in the Portland bicycle community caused Specialized to back down from their legal threats.
- "From Robin's Nest to Stumptown". End of the Oregon Trail Interpretive Center. Archived from the original on November 22, 2012. Retrieved January 23, 2012.
- "Specialized, Mountain Cycle disagree on "Stumptown"".
|This article includes a list of related items that share the same name (or similar names).
If an internal link incorrectly led you here, you may wish to change the link to point directly to the intended article.