Sturgeon Bay Canal Light
|Location||Sturgeon Bay, Wisconsin|
|Year first lit||1899|
|Construction||Steel / Iron|
|Tower height||98 feet (30 m)|
|Original lens||Second order Fresnel lens|
|Range||17 nautical miles (31 km; 20 mi)|
|Characteristic||Red, flashing 10 s|
|Heritage||place listed on the National Register of Historic Places|
Sturgeon Bay Canal Lighthouse
|Area||0.3 acres (0.12 ha)|
|MPS||U.S. Coast Guard Lighthouses and Light Stations on the Great Lakes TR|
|NRHP reference #||84003666|
|Added to NRHP||July 19, 1984|
Situated on the east side of the south entrance to the Sturgeon Bay Ship Canal, it was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1984, as the Sherwood Point Light Station. Originally constructed in 1899, instability forced the addition of steel bracing in 1903. It is similar to the reinforced Devils Island Lighthouse.
There are two lighthouses at this location, the other being the Sturgeon Bay Canal North Pierhead Light.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Sturgeon Bay Canal Station Light.|
- "Historic Light Station Information and Photography: Wisconsin". United States Coast Guard Historian's Office. Archived from the original on 2017-05-01.
- Light List, Volume VII, Great Lakes (PDF). Light List. United States Coast Guard.
- Havighurst, Walter (1943) The Long Ships Passing: The Story of the Great Lakes, Macmillan Publishers.
- Oleszewski, Wes, Great Lakes Lighthouses, American and Canadian: A Comprehensive Directory/Guide to Great Lakes Lighthouses, (Gwinn, Michigan: Avery Color Studios, Inc., 1998) ISBN 0-932212-98-0.
- Pepper, Terry. "Seeing the Light: Lighthouses on the western Great Lakes".
- Sapulski, Wayne S., (2001) Lighthouses of Lake Michigan: Past and Present (Paperback) (Fowlerville: Wilderness Adventure Books) ISBN 0-923568-47-6; ISBN 978-0-923568-47-4.
- Wright, Larry and Wright, Patricia, Great Lakes Lighthouses Encyclopedia Hardback (Erin: Boston Mills Press, 2006) ISBN 1-55046-399-3.
- Door County Lighthouses, Door County Marine Museum.
- Pepper, Terry, Seeing the light, Sturgeon Bay Canal Lighthouse.
- Lighthouse friends article
- NPS Inventory of Historic Light Stations - Wisconsin
|This article about a property in Wisconsin on the National Register of Historic Places is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article relating to a United States lighthouse is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|