Sturt Gorge Recreation Park
|Sturt Gorge Recreation Park|
|Nearest town or city||Adelaide|
|Established||4 October 1973|
|Area||2.44 km2 (0.9 sq mi)|
|Managing authorities||Department for Environment and Water|
|Website||Sturt Gorge Recreation Park|
|See also||Protected areas of South Australia|
The Sturt Gorge Recreation Park is a protected area in the Australian state of South Australia located in the suburbs of Bellevue Heights, Craigburn Farm and Flagstaff Hill within the Adelaide metropolitan area about 13 kilometres (8.1 mi) south of the Adelaide central business district.
The Sturt Tillite formation was the first area in the world to provide definite evidence of Cryogenian glaciation (the Snowball Earth). It is hypothesised that the landform was created from glacial material that dropped from ice floating in the ocean which covered the area 800 million years ago.
Fires of any kind are prohibited in the park.
- "Terrestrial Protected Areas of South Australia (refer 'DETAIL' tab )". CAPAD 2016. Australian Government, Department of the Environment (DoE). 2016. Retrieved 21 February 2018.
- "Search results for 'Sturt Gorge Recreation Park' with the following datasets selected - 'NPW and Conservation Properties', 'Suburbs and Localities', 'Hundreds' and 'Gazetteer'". Location SA Map Viewer. South Australian Government. Retrieved 29 May 2018.
- Kneebone, A. F. (4 October 1973). "NATIONAL PARKS AND WILDLIFE ACT, 1972: HUNDREDS OF ADELAIDE AND NOARLUNGA—STURT GORGE RECREATION PARK CONSTITUTED" (PDF). The South Australian Government Gazette. South Australian Government. p. 2205. Retrieved 28 May 2018.
- "Protected Areas Information System Reserve List" (PDF). Government of South Australia. 9 March 2018. Retrieved 26 April 2018.
- "Sturt Gorge Recreation Park". Department of Environment, Water and Natural Resources. Retrieved 16 August 2014.
- "Sturt Gorge Recreation Park - listing on the now-defunct Register of the National Estate (Place ID 6546)". Australian Heritage Database. Department of the Environment. Retrieved 29 May 2018.