|Initial release||9 October 2005|
|Stable release||2.0.2 / 27 February 2015|
Stylish is a browser extension that can apply a user-supplied style sheet to a web page, in addition to the Cascading Style Sheets provided by the website itself, to customize and personalize the appearance of the page. A user style may be more or less selective, targeting one specific web page, or several, or all of the pages on one or more domains, or every page on the web.
Mozilla-based web browsers (Firefox, Mozilla Thunderbird) and Chromium-based browsers (Google Chrome, Flock) are supported with two different implementations of the extension. A similar but unrelated extension provides the same functionality in Apple Safari. All can download and install stylesheets from a companion website, where members can upload and share their custom styles.
User styles are CSS style sheets designed to alter the appearance of one, some, or all sites, or of the browser itself, and are applied only to the targets specified. Individual user styles can be enabled or disabled in Firefox without having to restart the browser.
User styles are added to the CSS rules provided by the site, but can also override the site's styling (often requiring the
!important keyword for each replacement rule). The most common uses are ad-blocking, applying a new color scheme, and eliminating unwanted page elements.
There are three classes of user styles. Site styles change the appearance of a particular web site. Global styles change the appearance of all web sites. App styles change the appearance of the Firefox user interface, is similar to the
userChrome.css CSS file used by Firefox and Mozilla-based browsers.
Comparison to Greasemonkey
Userstyles.org holds user-submitted styles, which can be converted to Greasemonkey scripts. These also have the option of being added to Greasemonkey.
- See the posted date on Stylish topic on MozillaZine Forums where Stylish was announced for the first time. The post itself had been edited.
- Stylish version history on addons.mozilla.org.
- Mozilla add-on: Stylish
- "Chrome Web Store - Stylish". google.com. Retrieved 2 November 2012.
- "Stylish for Safari". Retrieved 2 November 2012.
- "Restyle the web with Stylish! - userstyles.org". Retrieved 2 November 2012.
- "Make the whole Web look better with Stylish," Nathan Willis, Mon 7 May 2007.
- mozillaZine knowledge base entry: userChrome.css