Su-27 Flanker (video game)
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (July 2009) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Su-27 Flanker is a combat flight simulator released for the PC (DOS and Microsoft Windows) in 1995 on CD. Developed in Russia by Eagle Dynamics and published by SSI, the game takes part in Crimea allowing players to fly the SU-27 aircraft in various combat roles. The game also includes a mission editor, allowing the player to create custom gameplay scenarios.
The Windows 95 version was released first, with the DOS version being developed later.
- Su-27 Flanker: Released April 30, 1996
- Su-27 Flanker: Squadron Commander's Edition: Released 1997
- Flanker 2.0: Released 1999
- Flanker 2.5: Released March 26, 2002, released as free patch download in 2001 for Flanker 2.0
- Lock On: Modern Air Combat: Although not technically a sequel, it is regarded by many to be. This version includes both Russian and American aircraft.
- LockOn: Flaming Cliffs
- LockOn: Gold
- LockOn: Flaming Cliffs 2
- LockOn: Platinum
- DCS World
Reviewing the Windows 95 version, a Next Generation critic summarized the game as "designed for realism over ease of use." He particular noted that the notations in the cockpit are in Russian, and that the game has no introduction of any sort when it boots up, instead simply presenting a long list of files with undescriptive names, leaving the player with no idea of where to start. He concluded that serious flight sim enthusiasts should consider getting the game for its "unsurpassed" realistic modeling of the Su-27, but that anyone else would be completely lost. He scored it two out of five stars.