23 March 1988 |
Auckland, New Zealand
|Height||185 cm (6 ft 1 in)|
|Weight||105 kg (16 st 7 lb)|
|As of 13 June 2015|
Suaia Matagi (born 23 March 1988) is a New Zealand professional rugby league footballer who currently plays for the Sydney Roosters in the National Rugby League. He is a New Zealand and Samoan international.
Matagi was first selected to play for Auckland in 2009. He was selected for the New Zealand Residents in 2009, 2010 and 2011. In 2011 Matagi was named in the Auckland Rugby League team of the year and went on to be named man of the match in the National Competition final. Matagi made his debut for the Auckland Vulcans in the NSW Cup on 3 April 2010 but could only play home games for the Vulcans due to travel restrictions.
On September 2014, Matagi was selected for the New Zealand and Samoa Four Nations train-on squads. On 7 October 2014, Matagi was selected in the New Zealand Kiwis team final 24 man squad for the 2014 Four Nations series.
After only playing one game during the first half of the 2015 NRL season, Matagi requested, and was granted, a release from his contract with the Warriors. Matagi signed a contract with the Sydney Roosters.
- Suaia Matagi rugbyleagueproject.org
- Matagi's journey: From prison to Mt Smart stuff.co.nz, 7 July 2013
- Suaia Matagi warriors.co.nz
- Auckland Pride retain National title rleague.com, 18 October 2011
- League star on an inspirational journey waikatoindependent.co.nz, 7 May, 2013
- Strong Vulcan flavour in Warriors tvnz.co.nz, 7 February 2013
- "Warriors prop Suaia Matagi inks deal with the Sydney Roosters after seeking early release". stuff.co.nz. 15 May 2015. Retrieved 15 May 2015.