Dr. Subhash Chandra
|MP(elect) of Rajya Sabha from Haryana |
|Preceded by||Suresh Prabhu, BJP|
30 November 1950 |
Hisar, Haryana, India
|Occupation||Founder & Chairman of Essel Group|
|Known for||Media mogul|
Subhash Chandra (born Subhash Chandra Goel 30 November 1950) is an Indian media baron with interests in packaging and media lottery and cinema. He is chairman of Essel Group, an Indian conglomerate. He was former Chairman of India's TV channel network Zee Media, but resigned as Director & Non-Executive Chairman of the Company with effect from May 24, 2016.   He has been elected to the Rajya Sabha from the Haryana state in the by-elections on 11 June 2016
Subhash Chandra was born on 30 November 1950. In 1970, while he was studying in 10th grade he dropped out of school to join family business of commission agent and trader who procured and supplied rice to Food Corporation of India. In 1980s he started manufacturing flexible packaging (mainly plastic tubes) for toothpaste, etc. under the name Essel Packaging. He followed up with a leisure park EsselWorld in north Bombay. In 1992, he launched Zee Television, in collaboration with Li Ka Shing and first online lottery and first Dish TV in India.
His channel Zee TV competes with, among others, Sony Entertainment Television and STAR Plus. His TV channels, numbering up to 70, including those in local language Hindi reach 959 millions people spread over 169 countries. He launched India's first satellite TV channel, Zee TV, in 1992. Other interests include packaging, theme parks, lotteries and cinema multiplexes. He started the failed Indian Cricket League, a domestic Twenty20 cricket league intended as a challenge to the Board of Control for Cricket in India, the nation's governing body in Cricket. In November 2009, he took over management responsibility of Daily News & Analysis (DNA), which features among the top 8 English dailies in India and is one of fastest growing English newspapers in the country.
In 2005, in collaboration with Dainik Bhaskar group, Subhash Chandra launched an English daily, DNA, in Mumbai to challenge the well settled The Times of India newspaper and the competition was one of the biggest newspaper battles of Mumbai and sustaining earlier losses, the newspaper eventually turned around.
Dr. Subhash Chandra Show
DSC show is a platform where Dr. Subhash Chandra engages with youth from across India and interacts on different topics. The core concept is to motivate the youth, inspire and share ideas and also help young entrepreneurs and aspiring minds for business.  Dr. Subhash Chandra (DSC) show is aired every week on Saturday at 10 pm on Zee News and 7pm on Zee Business and on Sundays at 11 am on both Zee News & Zee Business. This show is also aired on other channels of Zee Media Corporation Limited.
The Z Factor: My Journey as the Wrong Man at the Right Time] is an autobiography of Subhash Chandra. It has been co-edited by Pranjal Sharma, This is an unusually candid memoir of a truly desi self-made businessman who came to Delhi at age twenty with seventeen rupees in his pocket. The book was launched on 20th January, 2016 by Hon. Prime Minister Narendra Modi at 7 RCR, New Delhi.  The book was also officially unveiled at Zee Jaipur Literature Festival on January 21. 
- "Subhash Chandra wins RS seat as 12 Cong votes were rejected due to ‘wrong pen’". Hindustan Times. 12 June 2016. Retrieved 13 June 2016.
- "Forbes – Subhash Chandra". Forbes.com. 9 March 2011. Retrieved 15 April 2011.
- "Essel Group eye global venture, rule out Lalit Modi’s involvement". Indian Express. Retrieved 2 August 2015.
- "Zee group: Each brother to own 70–80% of business". Times of India. Retrieved 2 August 2015.
- "Dish TV posts Q1 net profit of Rs 54.21 crore". Economic Times. India Times. Retrieved 2 August 2015.
- "Subhash Chandra Biography- About family, children, education, wife, age, and more". business.mapsofindia.com. Retrieved 2016-03-29.
- Khandekar, Vanitha Kohli (25 March 2015). "40 Years Ago... And now: Subhash Chandra's chutzpah shaped his media business". Business Standard. Retrieved 4 August 2015.
- Adhikari, Anand (25 May 2014). "Passing the Baton". business today.intoday.in. Retrieved 4 August 2015.
- Ajwani, Deepak (14 March 2014). "At The Zee Group, Son Punit has taken the Baton from Subhash Chandra". Forbes India Magazie. Retrieved 4 August 2015.
- "Zee TV's Subhash Chandra to Receive Emmy Honor". The Hollywood Reporter. 6 January 2011. Retrieved 14 September 2013.
- "Dr Subhash Chandra to receive Canada India Foundation (CIF) Chanchlani Global Indian Award". Zee News. 3 February 2016. Retrieved 13 June 2016.