|Occupation||film director, film producer, screenwriter|
Subhash Kapoor is an Indian film director, producer and screenwriter. He was a political journalist, and later became known for directing satirical comical dramas like Phas Gaye Re Obama (2010), Jolly LLB (2013) and Jolly LLB 2 (2017).
After completing his MA degree in Hindi literature, Kapoor started his career as a political journalist in Delhi in the 1990s covering North India; thereafter, when his short film got him acclaim in 2001, he started making commercial short films, documentaries and ad films, eventually shifting base to Mumbai in 2006.
In 2007, Kapoor made his feature film directorial debut with Say Salaam India. The film failed at the box office. In 2010, he directed his second venture, a satire Phas Gaye Re Obama, which featured many comedians. The film managed to do well in India, and received critical acclaim as well as commercial success. Due to the surprise success of the film, Kapoor began writing his next project. In 2013, Kapoor released Jolly LLB, featuring Arshad Warsi, Amrita Rao and Boman Irani. It is a courtroom drama with a comical touch. The film was released on 15 March 2013. He is also the director for Jolly LLB's sequel, Jolly LLB 2, which starred Akshay Kumar.
In February 2014, actress Geetika Tyagi uploaded a video on YouTube in which she was seen slapping the director. She also leveled molestation charges on him. She later clarified that Subhash Kapoor had forced himself on her and dragged her during a party. Kapoor was arrested and released on bail for the same. In 2018, Aamir Khan and Kiran Rao disassociated themselves from Kapoor and stated they would not work with him on Mogul. Kapoor was subsequently removed from the project. Actress Ekta Kapoor also removed Subhash Kapoor from her series The Verdict, and Balaji Telefilms announced they would not employ the director until his legal problems are resolved.
In 2014, Subhash Kapoor, who allegedly molested aspiring actress Geetika Tyagi, was arrested and produced in the Andheri Magistrate Metropolitan Court and released on bail on the same day.
- Say Salaam India (2007) ... Released
- Phas Gaye Re Obama (2010) ... Released
- Jolly LLB (2013) ... Released
- Guddu Rangeela (2015) ... Released
- Jolly LLB 2 (2017)..... Released
- Mogul (TBA)......Post Production
- "Bach Gaye Re Kapoor: Now that Phas Gaye Re Obama (PGRO) is a certified hit, here's a profile of its multitasking maker – Subhash Kapoor". Mumbai Miroor. 17 December 2010.
- "Indian courtrooms seriously funny: Subhash Kapoor". 15 February 2013. Retrieved 11 March 2013.
- "Unwind with Obama". The Hindu. 3 December 2010. Retrieved 11 March 2011.
- "Phas Gaye Re Obama's a comedy out of anger". The Times of India. 3 February 2011. Retrieved 11 March 2013.
- "The A-Team". Indian Express. 15 December 2010. Retrieved 11 March 2013.
- "Obama Rocks". 7 December 2010. Retrieved 11 March 2013.
- "High court refuses to stay release of Jolly LLB". NDTV Movies. 6 March 2013.
- "Watch Video: Actress Geetika Tyagi slapping Director Subhash Kapoor". Retrieved 21 February 2014.
- "Jolly LLB Director Subhash Kapoor accused of Molestation". Indian Express. Retrieved 21 February 2014.
- "Geetika Tyagi says that Slap Incident wasn't a Casting Couch Case". IANS. news.biharprabha.com. Retrieved 21 February 2014.
- "Geetika Tyagi molestation case: Director Subhash Kapoor arrested". mid-day. Retrieved 26 March 2017.
- Basu, Mohar (12 October 2018). "#MeToo Effect: Ekta Kapoor Sacks Subhash Kapoor From Web Series The Verdict". Mid-Day.
- "Post Aamir Khan's decision to 'step away' from Mogul, co-producer Bhushan Kumar drops director Subhash Kapoor". Times Now. 11 October 2018.