|Born||January 12, 1967|
|Occupation||Author, Management Consultant|
Subir Chowdhury (Bengali: সুবীর চৌধুরী) (January 12, 1967) is the author of 15 books and noted for his work in quality and management.
Born in Chittagong, Bangladesh, Chowdhury received his undergraduate degree in Aeronautical Engineering from the Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Kharagpur, India (from which he received the Distinguished Alumnus Award ) and a graduate degree in Industrial Management from Central Michigan University, Mt. Pleasant, Michigan where he also received the Distinguished Alumnus Award. He came to the United States 1991 and eventually settled in Bloomfield Hills, Michigan. Chowdhury became a naturalized citizen in 2004.
Chowdhury started his career as a quality and systems engineer assigned to General Motor’s Delphi Division in 1993. From 1998-2003 Chowdhury worked as an Executive Vice President of the American Supplier Institute, which at the time was a provider of technical training for mostly automotive manufacturing companies in the U.S.
In 1996, Chowdhury co-authored with Ken Zimmer a book titled QS-9000 Pioneers. The book was an early effort to demonstrate how companies "revitalized" their manufacturing practices with standardized quality management processes. According to the book jacket, the book was endorsed by quality management experts Dr. Armand Fiegenbaum, Philip B. Crosby, J.D. Power III, and Dr. Genichi Taguchi.
Joining American Supplier Institute in 1997, Chowdhury began to work with his mentor Dr. Genichi Taguchi, developer of robust engineering theory, and Taguchi's son, Shin Taguchi who is also an engineer. Together, they co-authored a book titled Robust Engineering (2000) that was designed to help producers bring products to market at a faster rate and at lower cost, and yet maintain a high level of quality.
Inspired by a book titled The Leader of the Future, Chowdhury began collaborating with other management thinkers to analyze leadership and organizational development. Management 21C was published in 2000 with contributions from Peter Senge, C K Prahalad, James Kouzes, Barry Z. Posner, Sumantra Ghoshall, Christopher A. Bartlett, and Rosabeth Moss Kanter.
The Six Sigma quality movement was reaching its height in popularity in 2001 when Chowdhury wrote his next book, The Power of Six Sigma. Reported as a bestselling nonfiction book, some reviewers noted that Chowdhury made complex topics quality management issues easy to understand by using a fictionalized story to model important concepts.
Continuing the collaborations he began with Management 21C, Chowdhury completed work on Organization 21C, published in 2002. According to the book, his goal was to present ideas and strategic solutions to "guide, influence and help" individuals and organizations with management and leadership challenges. Among the contributors listed are Richard E. Boyatzis, James A. Champy, Allan R. Cohen, Jay A. Conger, Samuel A. Culbert, Christopher DeRose, Dexter Dunphy, David Finegold, Elizabeth Florent-Treacy, Rob Goffee, Robert L. Heneman, Harvey A. Hornstein, Andrew, Kakabadse, Manfred F. R. Kets de Vries, Edgar H. Schein, and Noel M. Tichy.
In 2002, Chowdhury wrote two more books on Six Sigma. Design for Six Sigma helped draw attention to emerging DFSS methodology that simplifies an otherwise complex management theory. The follow-up book The Power of Design for Six Sigma, stood out because unlike other books on the topic, Chowdhury successfully engaged a broad audience that included assembly line workers and CEOs to make Six Sigma even more accessible. These books lead Chowdhury to create a management implementation system he called “LEO” (Listen-Enrich-Optimize). This concept was later highlighted his book The Ice Cream Maker (2005) and later expanded in The Power of LEO (2011). His latest book is "Robust Optimization" (2016) co-authored with Shin Taguchi.
In 2003, Chowdhury formed ASI Consulting Group, LLC and became its Chairman and CEO.
From 2011, Chowdhury and his wife, Malini, began a foundation that has seeded several programs at major universities in India, the U.S., and the U.K. (see "Education and Philanthropic Work"). The latest in this work is at the Indian Institute of Technology, an inter-disciplinary school on Quality and Reliability (Q&R), which is the first of its kind in India.
In 2017, Chowdhury published his 15th book titled The Difference: When Good Enough Isn't Enough.
The following themes are found in most of his books:
- Problems can be prevented through continuous improvement—getting it right the first time—and should be the goal of every organization as it designs, develops and deploys products and services.
- Quality must be the responsibility of every individual in all organizations. The “quality mission” cannot be delegated to one group or individual. It cannot be a ‘top down’ management process. For quality to be robust and sustainable, everyone in the organization must not only accept it, they must believe in it.
- Quality begins at the top. Without the commitment of leadership—and without them demonstrating that commitment in every aspect of their own lives, initiatives will stall or fail over time.
- Everyone has a stake in Quality. Not only must quality involve everyone all the time, but in order to achieve robust and sustainable results, everyone must have a stake in its implementation and continuous improvement through peer reinforcement and other methods.
- Quality is a balance of people power and process power, where “people power” takes into account the role of the Quality mindset”—approaching quality with honesty, empathy and a resistance to compromise. Process power is about solving problems, developing ideas and solutions, and then perfecting those ideas and solutions.
- Improving quality using a cookie cutter managerial approach does not work. Every organization is unique. Every problem has different issues. Every individual brings different knowledge, skills, and abilities. Therefore, the methods, processes, and procedures used to solve quality issues must be tailored to the specific situation.
The Ice Cream Maker (2005) continues to sell well and receive positive reader reviews.
In 2009, the Conference Board Review described Chowdhury as "an excitable, enthusiastic evangelist for quality." In an article speculating about an up-and-coming book by Jack Welch, the New York Times described Chowdhury as a "leading Quality Expert". Marshall Goldsmith called Chowdhury "the Quality Prophet" in an interview published by Business Week in 2007.
In 2013, Thinkers 50 again recognized Chowdhury with a nomination for the 2013 "Breakthrough Idea" award for his work on "Economics of Quality".
Education and Philanthropic Work
Indian Institute of Technology Kharagpur
The Subir Chowdhury School of Quality and Reliability has been created for all IIT students who desire academic training in the concepts of quality assurance. The school was inspired by Chowdhury who is an IIT alumnus. Modules on quality and reliability are designed on engineering processes and their impact on environment and life in general.
London School of Economics and Political Science
The Subir Chowdhury Fellowship on Quality and Economics Fellow is expected to complete publishable research on people quality and behaviour of the economies of Asian nations "prioritising, but not restricted to, India and Bangladesh." The fellowship is awarded annually.
The Subir Chowdhury Fellowship on Quality and Economics Fellow is expected to engage in research examining the impact of people and process quality on the economic advancement of the United States. This is a graduate Fellowship for the graduate students in the Harvard University to be given annually.
University of California, Berkeley
The Subir and Malini Chowdhury Center for Bangladesh Studies was established at University of California, Berkeley, January 2014. The Center’s mission is to the build ties between institutions in Bangladesh and the University of California. It will also will conduct research, promote art and culture, and offer three scholarships, namely: The Subir Chowdhury Fellowship on Quality of Life in Bangladesh for graduate students; The Malini Chowdhury Fellowship on Bangladesh Studies for graduate students in any field that concentrates on Bangladesh studies; and The Subir Chowdhury Undergraduate Scholarship awarded to students concentrating in South and Southeast Asian Studies at Berkeley with matching awards from the Ford Challenge, a fund provided by a Berkeley donor to match undergraduate scholarship gifts.
Global Quality Awareness (GQA)
A non-profit initiative of the Subir and Malini Chowdhury Foundation created to improve the lives of individuals and their communities around the world by promoting a personal understanding of, and commitment to a "Quality mindset".
Frances Hesselbein Medal for Excellence in Leadership and Service
Subir and Malini Chowdhury Foundation provided a lifetime endowment for the award, given annually to a West Point cadet who best exhibits excellence in mentorship and leadership by example at the United States Military Academy at West Point 
- Outstanding American by Choice Award U.S. Government, DHS/USCIS First citizen of Michigan ever to be awarded this honor.
- Heritage Hall of Fame by the International Institute Foundation, Detroit, Michigan.
- Philip B. Crosby Medal given by the ASQ (American Society of Quality) - First recipient of this international medal.
- SME Gold Medal presented by the SME (Society of Manufacturing Engineers).
- Henry Ford II Distinguished Award for Excellence in Automotive Engineering awarded by the SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers).
- Honorary Doctorate of Engineering, Michigan Technological University, USA.
- Distinguished Alumnus Award, Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Kharagpur, India.
- Distinguished Alumnus Award, Central Michigan University (CMU), Michigan, USA.
- U.S. Certificate of Congressional Record 105th U.S. Congress.
- Young Leadership and Excellence Award presented by the Automotive Hall of Fame.
Professional Society Honors
Chowdhury is recognized as a “Fellow” in the following organizations: Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE), Society of Manufacturing Engineers (SME), American Society for Quality (ASQ), Royal Statistical Society - United Kingdom, the Quality Society of Australasia, and Engineering Society of Detroit (ESD).
In 2011, the Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) established the “Subir Chowdhury Medal of Quality Leadership” to be given each year to a global leader who promotes Quality in mobility industry.
In addition he has been awarded honorary membership in the following organizations:
- World Innovation Foundation
- International Technology Institute
- The Difference: When Good Enough Isn't Enough, Crown Business Books, 2017. ISBN 978-0451496218
- Robust Optimization: World's Best Practices for Developing Winning Vehicles, with Shin Taguchi; Wiley, 2016. ISBN 978-1119212126
- The Power of LEO: The Revolutionary Process for Achieving Extraordinary Results; McGraw-Hill, 2011. ISBN 978-0071767996
- The Ice Cream Maker; Doubleday, Random House, 2006. ISBN 978-0385514781
- Next Generation Business Handbook; Wiley, 2006. ISBN 978-0471669968
- Taguchi's Quality Engineering Handbook, with Genichi Taguchi, Yuin Wu; Wiley, 2004. ISBN 978-0471413349
- The Power of Design For Six Sigma; Kaplan Publishing, 2002. ISBN 978-0793160600
- Organization 21C; Financial Times - Prentice Hall, 2002. ISBN 978-0130603142
- Design For Six Sigma; Kaplan Professional, 2002. ISBN 978-0793152247
- The Talent Era: Achieving a High Return on Talent; Financial Times - Prentice Hall, 2001. ISBN 978-0130410405
- The Power of Six Sigma; Dearborn Trade, 2001. ISBN 978-0793144341
- The Mahalanobis-Taguchi System, with Genichi Taguchi, Yuin Wu; McGraw-Hill, 2000. ISBN 978-0071362634
- Management 21C; Financial Times Prentice Hall, 2000. ISBN 978-0273639633
- Robust Engineering, with Genichi Taguchi, Shin Taguchi; McGraw-Hill, 1999. ISBN 978-0071347822
- QS-9000 Pioneers, with Ken Zimmer; McGraw-Hill, 1996. ISBN 978-0786308651
- Shounak Ghosal, TNN Aug 9, 2009, 03.51am IST (2009-08-09). "IIT's surprise convocation package India's moon man - Times Of India". Articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com. Retrieved 2012-06-28.
- "Award Recipient | Central Michigan University Alumni Association". Cmich.edu. 2010-10-07. Retrieved 2012-06-28.
- "2009 Outstanding American by Choice Recipients". U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services. Retrieved 14 September 2013.
- "Leadership". ASI Consulting Group. Retrieved 17 July 2015.
- Chandan, Shahnawaz. "Making It Happen". The Daily Star. Retrieved 17 July 2015.
- Chowdhury, Subir. "About: Biography". Subir Chowdhury. Retrieved 17 July 2015.
- Chowdhury, Subir (1 May 1996). QS-9000. Milwaukee, WI: ASQC, Irvwin Publishing. p. Jacket. ISBN 978-0786308651. Retrieved 17 July 2015.
- Taguchi, Genichi; Chowdhury, Subir; Taguchi, Shin (18 Oct 1999). Robust Engineering. McGraw-Hill Education. p. Introduction. ISBN 978-0071347822.
- Beckhard, Richard; Goldsmith, Marshall; Hesselbein, Frances (1997). The Leader of the Future: New Visions, Strategies and Practices for the Next Era. Jossey-Bass. ISBN 978-0787909352
- Chowdhury, Subir; Senge, Peter; Prahalad, C K; et al. (2000). Management 21C. Prentice Hall. p. Introduction. ISBN 978-0273639633.
- "Review: The Power of Design For Six Sigma". Publishers Weekly. 28 October 2002. Retrieved 24 September 2013.
- Thoennes, Laurel (20 October 2011). "The Power of LEO Transcends Business Applications". Quality Digest. Retrieved 24 September 2013.
- Chowdhury, Subir; Conger, Jay A; Tichy, Noel M; Schein, Edgar H; Champy, James A; Kets de Vries, Manfred F R (2003). Organization 21C. Prentice Hall. ISBN 978-0130603142.
- Jusko, Jill (21 December 2004). "Prevention is the Cure". Industry Week. Retrieved 24 September 2013.
- "Nonfiction Book Review: The Power of Six SIGMA". Publisher's Weekly. 19 March 2001. Retrieved 24 September 2013.
- "IIT Kharagpur to set up India's first school on Quality and Reliability". Business Standard. 10 February 2017. Retrieved 23 February 2017.
- Merkel, David (17 February 2017). "Book Review: The Difference". Seeking Alpha. Retrieved 23 February 2017.
- "The Ice Cream Maker". Amazon.com. Retrieved 24 September 2013.
- "Restoring Quality". The Conference Board. Retrieved 2012-06-28.
- "Anticipating Welch on Welch; Book Planned by G.E.’s Chief Generates a Must-Read Buzz". Andrea Gabor. 2000-11-29. Retrieved 2012-06-28.
- Goldsmith, Marshall (2007-04-04). "The Quality Prophet". Businessweek.com. Retrieved 2012-06-28.
- "Thinkers50". Thinkers50. Retrieved 2012-06-28.
- "2013 Distinguished Achievement Awards Shortlists". Thinkers50. Retrieved 24 September 2013.
- "IIT Kharagpur sets up the Subir Chowdhury School of Quality and Reliability - another first for IITKGP". Indian Institute of Technology Kharagpur. Retrieved 22 February 2017.
- Pandeyl, Jhimli (February 12, 2017). "New IIT-Khargpur school to focus on quality check". The Times of India. Retrieved 22 February 2017.
- "Subir Chowdhury Fellowship - Fellowships - Asia Research Centre - Home". .lse.ac.uk. 2012-05-16. Retrieved 2012-06-28.
- Underwood, Matthew. "Subir Chowdhury Fellowship on Quality and Economics at Harvard University". Subir Chowdhury Website. Retrieved 24 September 2013.
- "Subir and Malini Chowdhury Center for Bangladesh Studies at the University of California Berkeley". University of California, Berkeley. Retrieved 1 February 2014.
- Levy, Thomas. "UC Berkeley first university to house a center for Bangladesh studies". Berkeley News. UC Berkeley. Retrieved 17 July 2015.
- "West Point Association of Graduates". Westpointaog.org. Retrieved 2012-06-28.
- "USCIS - 2009 Outstanding American by Choice Recipients". Uscis.gov. Retrieved 2012-06-28.
- "MICentral Events - 27th Annual Heritage Hall of Fame Celebration". Micentral.com. 2010-11-09. Retrieved 2012-06-28.
- "Crosby Medalists". ASQ. Retrieved 2012-06-28.
- "SME Honors Seven for Outstanding Achievements - re> DEARBORN, Mich., June 4 /PRNewswire/". Michigan: Prnewswire.com. Retrieved 2012-06-28.
- "Site Upgrade". Sae.org. Retrieved 2012-06-28.
- "Michigan Tech Media Relations Story#249 - Chowdhury to Receive Honorary Doctorate from Michigan Tech". Admin.mtu.edu. 2004-04-22. Retrieved 2012-06-28.
- "Congressional Record - 105th Congress (1997-1998) - THOMAS (Library of Congress)". Thomas.loc.gov. Retrieved 2012-06-28.
- "Delphi Engineers Share SAE Top Honors for Excellence" (PDF). Retrieved 2012-06-29.
- "Medal of Quality Leadership". Sae.org. Retrieved 2012-06-28.