List of submissions to the 80th Academy Awards for Best Foreign Language Film
The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences has invited the film industries of various countries to submit their best film for the Academy Award for Best Foreign Language Film every year since the award was created in 1956. The award is handed out annually by the Academy to a feature-length motion picture produced outside the United States that contains primarily non-English dialogue. The Foreign Language Film Award Committee oversees the process and reviews all the submitted films.
For the 80th Academy Awards, which were held on February 24, 2008, the Academy invited 95 countries to submit films for the Academy Award for Best Foreign Language Film. Sixty-three countries submitted films to the Academy, the highest number of submissions in the history of the award, including Azerbaijan and Ireland, which submitted films for the first time. Several of the submissions were subject to controversy. The Academy determined that initial submissions from Israel and Taiwan did not meet Academy requirements, and both countries submitted new films as replacements. The British Academy of Film and Television Arts was subject to criticism for not submitting the Scottish Gaelic Seachd: The Inaccessible Pinnacle or the Welsh Calon Gaeth. Bolivia's official submission, Los Andes no creen en Dios, did not appear on the Academy's list of accepted submissions.
Due to a change in the rules made for the 79th Academy Awards, the Academy published a shortlist of nine films on January 15, 2008, prior to the selection of the final five nominees. The Academy engendered controversy with its selections, notably the omission of Romania's 4 Months, 3 Weeks and 2 Days, which had won the Palme d'Or at the 2007 Cannes Film Festival, and France's Persepolis, the winner of the Jury Prize at the same Cannes Film Festival. After revealing the shortlist, the Academy released a list of nominees on January 22, 2008. The winner of the Academy Award for Best Foreign Language Film was Austria's The Counterfeiters, which was directed by Stefan Ruzowitzky.
|Submitting country||Film title used in nomination||Original title||Language(s)||Director(s)||Result|
|Argentina||XXY||XXY||Spanish||Lucía Puenzo||Not Nominated|
|Australia||The Home Song Stories||The Home Song Stories||Cantonese, English, Mandarin||Tony Ayres||Not Nominated|
|Austria||The Counterfeiters||Die Fälscher||German||Stefan Ruzowitzky||Won Academy Award|
|Azerbaijan||Caucasia||Qafqaz||Azerbaijani, Russian||Farid Gumbatov||Not Nominated|
|Bangladesh||On the Wings of Dreams||স্বপ্নডানায় (Swopnodanay)||Bengali||Golam Rabbany Biplob||Not Nominated|
|Belgium||Ben X||Ben X||Dutch||Nic Balthazar||Not Nominated|
|Bolivia||Los Andes no creen en Dios[A]||Los Andes no creen en Dios||Spanish||Antonio Eguino||Disqualified|
|Bosnia and Herzegovina||It's Hard to be Nice||Teško je biti fin||Serbo-Croatian||Srdan Vuletic||Not Nominated|
|Brazil||The Year My Parents Went On Vacation||O Ano em que Meus Pais Saíram de Férias||Portuguese||Cao Hamburger||Made January Shortlist|
|Bulgaria||Warden of the Dead||Пазачът на мъртвите (Pazachyt na myrtvite)||Bulgarian||Ilian Simeonov||Not Nominated|
|Canada||Days of Darkness||L'Âge des ténèbres||French||Denys Arcand||Made January Shortlist|
|Chile||Padre Nuestro||Padre nuestro||Spanish||Rodrigo Sepúlveda||Not Nominated|
|China||The Knot||云水谣 (Yun shui yao)||Mandarin||Yin Li||Not Nominated|
|Colombia||Satanás||Satanás||Spanish||Andi Baiz||Not Nominated|
|Croatia||Armin||Armin||Serbo-Croatian||Ognjen Sviličić||Not Nominated|
|Cuba||The Silly Age||La Edad de la peseta||Spanish||Pavel Giroud||Not Nominated|
|Czech Republic||I Served the King of England||Obsluhoval jsem anglického krále||Czech||Jiri Menzel||Not Nominated|
|Denmark||The Art of Crying||Kunsten at græde i kor||Danish||Peter Schønau Fog||Not Nominated|
|Egypt||In the Heliopolis Flat||في شقة مصر الجديدة (Fi shaket masr el Gedeeda)||Arabic||Mohamed Khan||Not Nominated|
|Estonia||The Class||Klass||Estonian||Ilmar Raag||Not Nominated|
|Finland||A Man's Job||Miehen työ||Finnish||Aleksi Salmenperä||Not Nominated|
|France||Persepolis||Persepolis||French||Vincent Paronnaud, Marjane Satrapi||Not Nominated|
|Georgia||The Russian Triangle||რუსული სამკუთხედი (Rusuli samkudhedi)||Russian||Aleko Tsabadze||Not Nominated|
|Germany||The Edge of Heaven||Auf der anderen Seite||German, Turkish||Fatih Akin||Not Nominated|
|Greece||Eduart||Eduart||Albanian, German, Greek||Angeliki Antoniou||Not Nominated|
|Hong Kong||Exiled||放逐 (Fong juk)||Cantonese||Johnnie To||Not Nominated|
|Hungary||Taxidermia||Taxidermia||Hungarian||György Pálfi||Not Nominated|
|Iceland||Jar City||Mýrin||Icelandic||Baltasar Kormakur||Not Nominated|
|India||Eklavya: The Royal Guard[B]||एकलव्य (Eklavya: The Royal Guard)||Hindi||Vidhu Vinod Chopra||Not Nominated|
|Indonesia||Denias, Singing on the Cloud||Denias Senandung Di Atas Awan||Indonesian||John De Rantau||Not Nominated|
|Iran||M for Mother||میم مثل مادر (Mim Mesle Madar)||Persian||Rasul Mollagholipour||Not Nominated|
|Iraq||Jani Gal||Jani Gal||Kurdish||Jamil Rostami||Not Nominated|
|Ireland||Kings||Kings||Irish, English||Tommy Collins||Not Nominated|
|Israel||Beaufort[C]||בופור (Beaufort)||Hebrew||Joseph Cedar||Nominated|
|Italy||La sconosciuta||La sconosciuta||Italian||Giuseppe Tornatore||Made January Shortlist|
|Japan||I Just Didn't Do It||それでもボクはやってない (Soredemo boku wa yatte nai)||Japanese||Masayuki Suo||Not Nominated|
|Kazakhstan||Mongol||Монгол (Mongol)||Mongolian||Sergei Bodrov||Nominated|
|Lebanon||Caramel||سكر بنات (Sukkar banat)||Arabic, French||Nadine Labaki||Not Nominated|
|Luxembourg||Little Secrets||Perl oder Pica||Luxembourgish||Pol Cruchten||Not Nominated|
|Macedonia||Shadows||Сенки (Senki)||Macedonian||Milčo Mančevski||Not Nominated|
|Mexico||Silent Light||Stellet licht||Plautdietsch||Carlos Reygadas||Not Nominated|
|Netherlands||Duska||Duska||Dutch||Jos Stelling||Not Nominated|
|Norway||Gone with the Woman||Tatt av Kvinnen||Norwegian||Petter Naess||Not Nominated|
|Peru||Crossing a Shadow||Una sombra al frente||Spanish||Augusto Tamayo||Not Nominated|
|Philippines||Donsol||Donsol||Bikol, Tagalog||Adolfo Alix, Jr.||Not Nominated|
|Portugal||Belle Toujours||Belle Toujours||French||Manoel de Oliveira||Not Nominated|
|Puerto Rico||Love Sickness||Maldeamores||Spanish||Mariem Perez, Carlitos Ruiz||Not Nominated|
|Romania||4 Months, 3 Weeks and 2 Days||4 luni, 3 săptămâni şi 2 zile||Romanian||Cristian Mungiu||Not Nominated|
|Russia||12||12||Russian, Chechen||Nikita Mikhalkov||Nominated|
|Serbia||The Trap||Klopka (Клопка)||Serbo-Croatian||Srdan Golubović||Made January Shortlist|
|Singapore||881||881||Mandarin, Hokkien||Royston Tan||Not Nominated|
|Slovakia||Return of the Storks||Návrat bocianov||German, Slovak||Martin Repka||Not Nominated|
|Slovenia||Short Circuits||Kratki stiki||Slovene||Janez Lapajne||Not Nominated|
|South Korea||Secret Sunshine||밀양 (Milyang)||Korean||Lee Chang-dong||Not Nominated|
|Spain||The Orphanage||El orfanato||Spanish||Juan Antonio Bayona||Not Nominated|
|Sweden||You, the Living||Du levande||Swedish||Roy Andersson||Not Nominated|
|Switzerland||Late Bloomers||Die Herbstzeitlosen||Swiss German||Bettina Oberli||Not Nominated|
|Taiwan||Island Etude[D]||練習曲 (Liànxí Qǔ)||Mandarin, Taiwanese||Chen Huai-En||Not Nominated|
|Thailand||King of Fire||ตำนานสมเด็จพระนเรศวรมหาราช (Tamnan Somdej Phra Naresuan)||Thai||Chatrichalerm Yukol||Not Nominated|
|Turkey||A Man's Fear of God||Takva||Turkish||Özer Kızıltan||Not Nominated|
|Uruguay||The Pope's Toilet||El Baño del Papa||Spanish||Cesar Charlone, Enrique Fernandez||Not Nominated|
|Venezuela||Postcards from Leningrad||Postales de Leningrado||Spanish||Mariana Rondon||Not Nominated|
|Vietnam||The White Silk Dress||Áo lụa Hà Đông||Vietnamese||Luu Huynh||Not Nominated|
- List of Academy Award winners and nominees for Best Foreign Language Film
- 80th Academy Awards nominees and winners
- List of Academy Award-winning foreign language films
- A Bolivia submitted Los Andes no creen en Dios for review by the Academy, but it did not appear on the list of official submissions.
- B The submission for India, Eklavya: The Royal Guard, was the target of a lawsuit alleging that India's selection committee was tied to the production staff of Eklavya; however, India retained the film as its submission.
- C The Academy determined that Israel's first submission, The Band's Visit, contained too much English dialogue for the film to meet Academy requirements, and Israel submitted Beaufort as a replacement.
- D The Academy determined that Taiwan's initial submission, Lust, Caution, had insufficient Taiwanese participation to be considered a valid entry under Academy rules, and Taiwan submitted Island Etude as a replacement.
- "63 Countries Seeking Foreign Language Film Oscar". Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences. 2007-10-17. Archived from the original on 2008-04-12. Retrieved 2008-06-23.
- "History of the Academy Awards - Page 2". Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences. Archived from the original on 2008-06-22. Retrieved 2008-06-23.
- "Special Rules for the Best Foreign Language Film Award". Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences. Archived from the original on 2008-03-14. Retrieved 2008-06-23.
- "95 Countries to Receive Foreign Language Film Entry Forms for 2007 Oscar". Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences. 2007-06-22. Archived from the original on October 10, 2007. Retrieved 2008-06-23.
- "A Record 63 Countries Vying For Best Foreign-Language Oscar Nod". Yahoo! Movies. 2007-10-17. Archived from the original on September 26, 2008. Retrieved 2008-06-23.
- Galloway, Steven (2007-11-12). "Oscar's Foreign Movie Rules Questioned". Backstage. Archived from the original on 2013-01-17. Retrieved 2008-06-25.
- Kershner, Isabel (2007-10-31). "The Band's Visit". The New York Times. Retrieved 2008-06-23.
- Jaafar, Ali (2007-10-12). "Oscar deems 'Band's Visit' ineligible". Variety. Retrieved 2008-06-23.
- Lee, Min (2007-10-19). "Taiwan drops 'Lust, Caution' as Oscar entry". The China Post. Archived from the original on 2012-02-21. Retrieved 2008-06-23.
- Uni, Assaf (2008-01-22). "Israeli film Beaufort nominated for Oscar for Best Foreign Film". Haaretz. Retrieved 2008-06-23.
- Dawtrey, Adam (2007-10-04). "BAFTA attacked over Oscars". Variety. Retrieved 2008-06-24.
- Orellana, Ruddy (2007-12-13). "110 mil personas vieron el último filme de Eguino". Los Tiempos (in Spanish). Archived from the original on December 15, 2007. Retrieved 2008-06-24.
- "Rules Change for Foreign-Language Oscar". San Francisco Chronicle. 2006-07-01. Retrieved 2008-06-23.[dead link]
- "Nine Foreign Language Films Advance in 2007 Oscar Race". Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences. 2008-01-15. Archived from the original on 2008-04-30. Retrieved 2008-06-23.
- Gaydos, Steven; McCarthy, Libby (2008-01-15). "Oscar's foreign film race heats up". Variety. Retrieved 2008-06-23.
- "Oscar-snubbed '4 Months' rivets". The Washington Post. 2008-02-01. Retrieved 2008-06-23.
- Kenny, Glenn (2008-01-17). "4 Months, 3 Weeks and 2 Days". Premiere. Archived from the original on 2008-06-17. Retrieved 2008-06-23.
- Goodman, Dean (2008-01-22). "Acclaimed films miss out on foreign-Oscar bid". Reuters. Retrieved 2008-06-23.
- Collett-White, Mike (2008-02-22). "Snubs, omissions taint Oscar foreign film award". Yahoo! Movies. Archived from the original on 2008-02-28. Retrieved 2008-06-23.
- "Nominations – 80th Annual Academy Awards". Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences. 2008-01-22. Archived from the original on 2008-06-22. Retrieved 2008-06-24.
- Pearson, Ryan (2008-02-25). "Austria's 'Counterfeiters' Wins Oscar". Fox News. Archived from the original on 2008-04-08. Retrieved 2008-06-24.
- "India Retains 'Eklavya: The Royal Guard' as Official Oscar Entry". Voice of America. 2007-10-18. Retrieved 2008-06-23.[dead link]
|Wikinews has related news: Oscar Foreign Film race narrowed to nine films|