Subroto Roy (economist)
He graduated from St. Paul's School, Darjeeling in 1971. He then went to Haleybury College, Hertford, England completing GCE Advanced and Special Levels in physics, chemistry and biology in 1973. Subsequently, he entered the London School of Economics, and graduated with a first class honours degree in the BScEcon specialising in mathematical economics, econometrics, monetary economics and international economics in 1976.
In 1982, he was awarded the PhD in the Faculty of Economics of the University of Cambridge, where Professor Frank Hahn had been supervisor. Professor CJ Bliss of Oxford University and Professor Terence W Hutchison of Birmingham University were the Examiners of the doctoral thesis "On liberty and economic growth: preface to a philosophy for India".
He served as an economic advisor to former Indian prime minister Rajiv Gandhi.
He has taught economics and/or finance at several Cambridge colleges, the Delhi School of Economics, Virginia Tech, Cornell University, Brigham Young University, UH-Manoa, IIT Kharagpur, University of Buckingham. He has been a consultant at the World Bank and the IMF in Washington, and worked briefly on Wall Street.
India's Money 2012
- Blundell, J. (2006). Margaret Thatcher's Revolution: How it Happened and What it Meant. Economic Affairs, March, 26, 1, 79-80.
- Bartholomew, J. (2005). Lest we forget what Thatcher did. http://www.thewelfarestatewerein.com/archives/2005/07/lest_we_forget.php
- Cudd, A., (1990). Review of Philosophy of Economics: On the Scope of Reason in Economic Inquiry by Roy, S. Journal of Economic History, Sep 01, 50, 3.
- Keat, R.,(1992). Review of Philosophy of Economics: on the Scope of Reason in Economic Inquiry by Roy, S. The Philosophical Quarterly, Oct, 42, 169, 509-511.
- Nelson, A. (1991). Book Review:The Philosophy of Economics: On the Scope of Reason in Economic Inquiry. Subroto Roy. Ethics, July, 101, 4.
- Rappaport, S. (1990). Philosophy of Economics: On the Scope of Reason in Economic Inquiry, Subroto Roy. London: Routledge, 1989, ix + 236 pages. October, Economics and Philosophy, 6, 2.
- Rajan, R.,(1985). Review of Pricing, Planning and Politics: A Study of Economic Distortions in India. Third World Quarterly, Oct. 7, 4, 1097-1098.
- The Times (1984) India's Bad Example, The editorial, May 29