Subversive activities registration
Subversive activities registration is sometimes required by governments.
Registration in the United States
18 U.S.C. § 2386, requires the registration of any private group engaged in "civilian military activity" or in "political activity", the latter being defined as "any activity the purpose or aim of which, or one of the purposes or aims of which, is the control by force or overthrow of the Government of the United States or a political subdivision thereof, or any State or political subdivision thereof."
The statute requires that such groups provide detailed information on their leaders, meeting places, assets, publications, etc. All of these statements become public records open to public examination and inspection.
South Carolina passed a Subversive Activities Registration Act which required people to pay a five dollar fee to register as "subversive agents". No one registered until February 2010, when the legislation was publicized on the internet and by radio. Fourteen people registered before the act was repealed in June 2010.
Registered subversives include Cognition Capital Management (CCM), a registered investment advisor founded by Mitch Hardy and Bill Matson, the co-authors of Data Driven Investing  (a book called "groundbreaking" by Joe Moglia, the Chairman of TD Ameritrade, for its criticism of the financial services industry). By its compliance with the Subversive Activities Registration Act, CCM sought to protest the ongoing unfair business practices of Wall Street firms with significant federal government ownership.
- "Sec. 2386. Registration of certain organizations". 18 USC CHAPTER 115 - TREASON, SEDITION, AND SUBVERSIVE ACTIVITIES. http://uscode.house.gov. Archived from the original on 20 May 2012. Retrieved 22 May 2012. External link in
- "McCarran Internal Security Act- 1950". historycentral.com. MultiEducator, Inc. Retrieved 22 May 2012.
- "COMMUNIST PARTY OF THE UNITED STATES v. SUBVERSIVE ACTIVITIES CONTROL BOARD". FindLaw. FindLaw. Retrieved 22 May 2012.
- Jason Linkins (11 April 2010). "South Carolina To Root Out 'Subversives', Make Them Pay Five Dollars". Huffington Post. HuffPost News. Retrieved 22 May 2012.
- Bruce Schneier (9 February 2010). "All Subversive Organizations Now Must Register in South Carolina". Schneier on Security. Schneier.com. Retrieved 22 May 2012.
Contains link to Subversive Activities Registration Act registration form
- Montopoli, Brian (March 3, 2010). "Fee to Overthrow the Government: Five Dollars". CBS.
- "Want to overthrow the government? No registration required". WMBF news.com. Jun 10, 2010. Retrieved 24 April 2011.
- "TO REPEAL CHAPTER 29, TITLE 23 OF THE 1976 CODE, RELATING TO THE SUBVERSIVE ACTIVITIES REGISTRATION ACT". A BILL: 118th Session, 2009-2010. South Carolina General Assembly. Retrieved 22 May 2012.
- Mitch Hardy and Bill Matson. Data Driven Investing. https://books.google.com/books?id=R35pnMrBRU0C&pg=PR8&dq=data+driven+investing+executive+table+of+contents&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjY5tjPk-bKAhUDFh4KHR-6BUkQ6AEIKzAA#v=onepage&q=data%20driven%20investing%20executive%20table%20of%20contents&f=false
- Joe Moglia. Coach Yourself to Success: Winning the Investment Game. https://books.google.com/books?id=CIlY0NDoS5AC&pg=PA143&lpg=PA143&dq=joe+moglia+matson+hardy&source=bl&ots=N0eU1AaMb9&sig=r8DFc_dUrvqv8aVf_HJr5IHWq_k&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjZ1YvhgubKAhXGlh4KHY4xAlEQ6AEIIjAB#v=onepage&q=joe%20moglia%20matson%20hardy&f=false
- The Mutual Fund Wire (4 June 2010). 12b-1s Inspire Subversive Cognitive Dissidence. http://mfwire.com/article.asp?storyID=32420&wireID=2&r=subversive&template=article&bhcp=1
- Bill Matson. Triple Nine Society Vidya (#268/269 - October 2010). Reflections of a Registered Subversive. http://www.triplenine.org/portals/0/PublicDocs/Vidya/vidya_268-269_BM_reprint.pdf