Subvertising is a portmanteau of subvert and advertising. It refers to the practice of making spoofs or parodies of corporate and political advertisements. Subvertisements may take the form of a new image or an alteration to an existing image or icon, often in a satirical manner. A subvertisement can also be referred to as a meme hack and can be a part of social hacking or culture jamming. According to AdBusters, a Canadian magazine and a proponent of counter-culture and subvertising, "A well produced 'subvert' mimics the look and feel of the targeted ad, promoting the classic 'double-take' as viewers suddenly realize they have been duped. Subverts create cognitive dissonance. It cuts through the hype and glitz of our mediated reality and, momentarily, reveals a deeper truth within."
- Alexander Barley (May 21, 2001). "Battle of the image". New Statesman. Retrieved 2010-12-09.
Subvertising is an attempt to turn the iconography of the advertisers into a noose around their neck. If images can create a brand, they can also destroy one. A subvert is a satirical version or the defacing of an existing advert, a detournement, an inversion designed to make us forget consumerism and consider instead social or political issues.
- "Clearing the Mindscape". AdBusters. March 4, 2009. Retrieved 2010-12-09.
So I think that, for me, “subvertising,” or “culture jamming,” as I call it, is the art of creating a new kind of cool.
- "Exxon Victorious". Time. March 5, 1973.
One sure sign that Exxon has arrived as a brand name is that it has become the butt of cartoonists' jokes. For example, a cartoon in Mad magazine shows a picture of the White House with a sign overhead emblazoned Nixxon. The caption: 'But it's still the same old gas'.
- "Sore-Loserman: From political parody to charity's windfall. CNN. 4 Dec. 2000". Archives.cnn.com. Retrieved 2014-03-29.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Subvertising.|
- Clean coal: This is Reality campaign
- Memefest, international festival of radical communication
- The Unsuitablog Subvertising Gallery