Success Will Write Apocalypse Across the Sky
|Success Will Write Apocalypse Across the Sky|
|Origin||Tampa, Florida, United States|
|Associated acts||Bodies in the Gears of the Apparatus, Dehumanized|
|Past members||Pete Lamb
Success Will Write Apocalypse Across the Sky is an American death metal band from Tampa, Florida, formed in 2006. The group was founded by guitarists Aaron Haines and Ian Sturgill, shortly after the disbandment of their previous band, Bodies in the Gears of the Apparatus. The band's name is derived from the 1989 text "Apocalypse" written by William S. Burroughs (in which "he describes art and creative expression taking a literal and physical form"), and also "inspired and supported by a healthy amount of paranoia," as guitarist Sturgill stated in an interview with About.com.
The group's first release, an EP entitled Subhuman Empire, was released in July 2007 through Debello Recordings. In December 2007, Success Will Write Apocalypse Across the Sky inked a deal with German label Nuclear Blast. The band's full-length debut, The Grand Partition and the Abrogation of Idolatry, was produced, mixed and mastered by guitarist James Murphy, and released on April 3, 2009, in Europe and on May 5, 2009, in the United States.
The lyrical themes of Success Will Write Apocalypse Across the Sky, which were defined by Exclaim! magazine as "a big 'fuck you' to all of humanity," address topics like "wage slavery, psychological warfare, 'denial and contortion' of human rights, globalism, and eugenics". Vocalist John Collett cites authors such as H. P. Lovecraft, Mark Twain, Bram Stoker, and Ambrose Bierce as some of his lyrical influences.
- Ian Sturgill – guitars, backing vocals (2006–present)
- John Collett – lead vocals (2007–present)
- Jennifer Muse – samples (2008–present)
- Matt Simpson – bass (2008–present)
- Shaun De Leon – guitars (2012–present)
- JR Daniels – drums
- Aaron Haines – guitars
- Chris Woodall – bass
- Mike Petrak – drums
- Jesse Jolly – bass
- Pete Lamb – drums
Session and touring members
- Mike Heller – drums (2009)
- Sally Gates – guitar (2009)
- Angel Cotte – drums (2013)
- Subhuman Empire EP (2007)
- The Grand Partition and the Abrogation of Idolatry (2009)
- Anderson, Baz (3 April 2009). "Success Will Write Apocalypse Across the Sky - The Grand Partition and the Abrogation of Idolatry Review".
- Bowar, Chad (6 May 2009). "Success Will Write Apocalypse Across the Sky interview: A conversation with guitarist Ian Sturgill". About.com. The New York Times Company. Archived from the original on 15 March 2012. Retrieved June 22, 2009.
- S. Murphy, Timothy (1998). "Nothing Is True, Everything Is Permitted". Wising Up the Marks: The Amodern William Burroughs. Berkeley, California: University of California Press. p. 6. ISBN 0-520-20951-6. Retrieved June 23, 2009.
- G., Richard (April 2009). "Success Will Write Apocalypse Across the Sky interview". Lords of Metal. Retrieved June 23, 2009.
- Harris, Chris; Wiederhorn, Jon (December 14, 2007). "36 Crazyfists Pounding Away on Next Album; Plus Anthrax, Ipsissimus & More News that Rules, in Metal File". MTV News. MTV Networks. Retrieved June 22, 2009.
- "Success Will Write Apocalypse Across the Sky: New Song Posted Online". Blabbermouth.net. Roadrunner Records. February 14, 2009. Archived from the original on September 12, 2009. Retrieved June 23, 2009.
- Falzon, Denise (June 2009). "Aggressive Tendencies: SWWAATS - The Grand Partition and the Abrogation of Idolatry". Exclaim!. Retrieved June 23, 2009.
- "Success Will Write Apocalypse Across the Sky interview with Ian Sturgill". Way Too Loud!. Xtremely Media. 28 May 2009. Archived from the original on June 6, 2009. Retrieved 23 June 2009.