|Wikibooks Cookbook has a recipe/module on|
Succotash (from Narragansett sohquttahhash, "broken corn kernels") is a food dish consisting primarily of sweet corn with lima beans or other shell beans. Other ingredients may be added including tomatoes and green or sweet red peppers. Combining a grain with a legume provides a dish that is high in all essential amino acids. Because of the relatively inexpensive and more readily available ingredients, the dish was popular during the Great Depression in the United States. It was sometimes cooked in a casserole form, often with a light pie crust on top as in a traditional pot pie. Succotash is a traditional dish of many Thanksgiving celebrations in New England as well as in Pennsylvania and other states. In some parts of the American South, any mixture of vegetables prepared with lima beans and topped with lard or butter is called succotash. Corn (maize), American beans, tomatoes, and peppers are New World foods.
- "Sufferin' succotash" is a catchphrase used by several Looney Tunes cartoon characters, most notably Sylvester the Cat.
- "My supper dish, my succotash wish" is a line from the 1990 dance record Groove Is in the Heart recorded by Deee-Lite.
- "Make a wish, make a succotash wish" is a line from the 2001 rock album Anthology by Alien Ant Farm. This song was the band's first song ever written and performed, and it is also featured on their $100 EP.
- A Key into the Language of America
- List of legume dishes
- List of regional dishes of the United States
- Trumbull, James Hammond (1903). Natick Dictionary. US Gov Printing Office. Entry for sohquttahham.
- "succotash". The American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language (4 ed.). Houghton Mifflin Company. 2004. Retrieved 2009-02-21.
- Livestrong.com webpage entitled NUTRITIONAL SOURCES OF ESSENTIAL AMINO ACIDS
- Morgan, Diane and John Rizzo. The Thanksgiving Table: Recipes and Ideas to Create Your Own Holiday Tradition. Pg. 122.
- Sylvester the Cat - A Favorite Cartoon Cat